Newb with question about time Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb with question about time Extension

Any way to get an extension after I have been served papers?
    My financials are in a mess and need more time to get them in order.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated .
    Thanks the Iceman

When were you served and what is the deadline date?

Unless you own a few businesses then what is so difficult about compiling your financial information?

Comment

Originally posted by iceman View Post
      Any way to get an extension after I have been served papers?
      My financials are in a mess and need more time to get them in order.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated .
      Thanks the Iceman
      I believe you would have to ask a judge for an extension.

Comment

I'm self employed and was served 10 days ago.
        Says on the papers This case is on the standard track of the case managmement system (no court date has been set for this case)
        She is getting legal aid for herself and I have to apply to them as well and will need time to find a lawyer.

Comment

I'm sure you have ample time to get your shit together.

Legal Aid will give you wings and you can request for adjournments indefinitely [sarcastic]

Your legal aid lawyer will give you advice. In the meantime you should simply start compiling your personal information. If you are self-employed you should start with all of your bank statements for the past 3 years. If your ex has a brain then she will know not to rely on your tax returns (as you are self-employed) and will instead request your financial statements. Your financial statements will outline all of your business expenses. What you claim with the government isn't necessarily relative for determining child or spousal support.

Check previous threads on this forum for more information.

Comment

Ok thanks for the info, Just hard figuring it out makes it stressful on me , and don't want to rub any off on my son. Even though she doesn't realize trying to hit at me affects my son as well.

Comment

Divorce is a nasty business. Best thing you can do for your son is to not drag things out. Comply with requests for full financial disclosure and carry on.

Comment

All I wanted was to Know if there was anyway I could get and extension on the time to File my financials and apply for legal aid. There is no way Ill have them done before I have to file. Not as simple of grabbing couple of T4's and other receipts.
                I know Divorce is a Nasty thing , but better than staying in an abusive relationship.

Comment

So you have no court date, no notice to appear statement in any of the documents which were served? How were you served (by registered mail, a process server, by your ex)? What is the document that was served on you?

Comment

Form 13.1 and a Notice to attend Mandatory information program. A form 10 answer. Has a court file number some forms for me to fill out financial statements.

Comment

I have been there - It has always been an issue for me. I can't get things done at the pace set by deadlines when medical crap is always a factor. What I was told when I was losing hair from the worry. No court will screw you for being late, no lawyer would refuse your request that is truly valid and if the other lawyer makes waves - the judge will not look kindly.

But you need to be working your ass off to comply. If you are on your own - many here say learning to be a lawyer, doing the legal work, filing docs on time can and is a full time job on top of your full time job that you currently work at to survive financially. It is serious business your in - you must find a way. But communicating with your ex's lawyer and negotiating a "deal" would be your first step..... if you do get more time the court must be notified (and there I can't help - I didn't do that part of it ever)

Remember though - you need to have some darn good reasons before your ex's lawyer would even entertain your request - time costs money as they say......

Comment

Confused as to what the deadline is for?

If you're on the standard track for case management a case conference *should* have been scheduled....but that wouldn't have a deadline of 10 days. Sounds like you've either missed something in the paperwork or they've neglected to include something.

Is there a court file number in the top right corner? If so, call the courthouse and ask if a CC date has been set, if so, as respondent you have up until 4 days prior to and not including your court date to serve and file your response. If you require more time you can request a consent for late filing from the applicant's lawyer.

Comment

Was no deadline I assumed I had 30 days to respond , it has been 10 days since I received package.Said on papers this case is on the standard track of the case management system.so I received application, 35.1 affidavit,and financial statement from her the applicant.

Comment

Apologies, I misread on the 10 days.

However, you have not said if there was a court file number, and if so you should still be calling the courthouse to find out if a CC has been scheduled.

If no deadline for anything has been given, no extension would be required.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X