Child with one college diploma going to university, child support question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child with one college diploma going to university, child support question

One of my children has finished a college diploma and has decided to continue his education by attending university. He is taking a course in geology after completing a forestry management diploma.

Now my ex is asking for a continuation in CS. I was always under the impression that CS stops after the first degree or diploma. Can anyone give me some advice on this subject.

Thanks in advance….

It should stop after that but she could argue he needs the other education. Would he be able to find a job with the college education? Would his employment prospects be advanced with the additional degree? What kind of education do you both have and how old is he now?

Comment

He lives up North, so I contend that he could find a job with his first diploma. The university degree is something he is doing because he finds it interesting. And I would say that yes, his employment prospects would be increased, but in another field altogether.

As for education, I have a high school diploma, and the mother has a college degree in a subject that she is not employed in. And he is 20 now.

The part that I find frustrating is that the mother uses the child support as supplemental income for herself. The kids tell me that even when I was paying her $2500/month she was still asking them to loan her money. Also, I was the one who paid off both their student loans upon completion of their education.

Comment

Then I would argue he is no longer a child of the marriage and no longer entitled to support.

Comment

She is threatening to take me to court, which I have happily (as much as u can in a divorce anyway) agreed to, as I also think this is the case.

Can you lead me towards any legal cases I can use in court to back this assertion up? The lawyer I talked to briefly said the courts are all over the place on this subject.

Comment

Courts are all over the place on it. You would have to do a canlii search. The only cases I saw were three (I think) where it was ordered but both parents had doctorates.

Let her threaten. Until she files its a moot point.

Comment

Should also add that because he can find a job in his field of study, and the program he wants to take is a separate one, it is highly unlikely a judge will order it. The only times I have seen it outside of the parameter I said above was when the kid needed additional training to get a better paying job.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                ... it is highly unlikely a judge will order it.
                I disagree with this one. Mum has a degree. Dad doesn't but is successful/can afford it. It would be assumed kid would get a degree as well - which even in a different area would create better opportunities for kid. A couple more years of "child status" to complete a degree is common.

Comment

Thank u ever so much for your feedback. Your are saying everything I have assumed on this subject. It’s good to hear that it’s entirely possible that I will finally be free of her after 23 years of pain and suffering.

Let me just finish by saying….MGTOW!

Comment

Hold on.
                    Everything you assumed is "it is up in the air"?

Comment

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
                      I disagree with this one. Mum has a degree. Dad doesn't but is successful/can afford it. It would be assumed kid would get a degree as well - which even in a different area would create better opportunities for kid. A couple more years of "child status" to complete a degree is common.
                      Mom has a college diploma in Tavel and Tourism, sorry I wasn’t clear on that.

Comment

Originally posted by terryfyde View Post
                        Hold on.
                        Everything you assumed is "it is up in the air"?
                        My assumption has been, first diploma/degree and CS stops unless the child is perusing a doctorate where the parents are also doctors

Having said that, the courts are always “up in the air” when it comes to child support. My issue I think will be is my income vs hers. That will be determined on a whim I’m afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post

Kid has a degree in forestry. He lives in northern Ontario. Jobs in that field in that area are in demand. Actually there are a lot of jobs in that field throughout Ontario. He wants to go back for a separate different degree in geology which would also lead to employment but its not related and would mean additional years and costs.

They both have valid arguments but the case law isnt there. I havent seen any cases in my searches where a child was granted a second degree in a separate subject.

Comment

One is a completed forestry diploma,
                            ,the other a geology degree not yet taken.
                            Huge difference in pay and education level, possibly some crossover ask a prof or industry people. Kid may also do a degree while away from home.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                              Kid has a degree in forestry.=]
                              He completed a Diploma

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X