No announcement yet.

Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying lump sum is a known risk, which can be overturned. Just like any other agreement, material changes can arise. We hope it'll be the end of it, but know it may be brought up again... which is why judges try to avoid them. At the end of the day, support is based on percentages and we're all paying the same - along with rent. Responsibilities are your issue, not the system.

Comment

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
      Paying lump sum is a known risk, which can be overturned. Just like any other agreement, material changes can arise. We hope it'll be the end of it, but know it may be brought up again... which is why judges try to avoid them. At the end of the day, support is based on percentages and we're all paying the same - along with rent. Responsibilities are your issue, not the system.
      In that case judge shouldn't allow it, but he did.

Comment

The same great logic could be said about the OP. Allowing ex to stay home half their marriage, then heartbroken discovering ss.

Comment

The same great logic could be said about the OP. Allowing ex to stay home half their marriage, then heartbroken discovering ss.
          Only freeloaders and people wanting to live off taxpayers money stay at home to enjoy benefits . No one will allow anyone to stay at home ,its a choice made by lazy individuals without work ethics . You can bring a horse to the water but you cannot force it to drink.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
            Hey, you married this woman. Speaks volumes about you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Dont people ever commit mistakes . This is a mistake , high risk mistake for which I am paying. Lol

Comment

I didn't want give this analogy, but think of this:
              Kristine Wellenstein won $426mln jackpot in January 2022. Instead of taking monthly payments she agreed taking 292mln lump sum payment. Statistically speaking majority of jack pot winners go bankrupt within just few years. Imagine she will come back in few years to the lottery organizers and claim "I now want the monthly payments instead".

Comment

Originally posted by respondent View Post
                I didn't want give this analogy, but think of this:
                Kristine Wellenstein won $426mln jackpot in January 2022. Instead of taking monthly payments she agreed taking 292mln lump sum payment. Statistically speaking majority of jack pot winners go bankrupt within just few years. Imagine she will come back in few years to the lottery organizers and claim "I now want the monthly payments instead".

Not a good comparison.

Also, you don’t know the reasoning behind the lump sum in the case posted. He could have lowballed her and she found out.

Comment

Not a good comparison.

Also, you don�t know the reasoning behind the lump sum in the case posted. He could have lowballed her and she found out.
                  I don't think he lowballed her. He was paying CS at 4,000 a month. If he was in Ontario, that would correspond to income of 195,000 a year, and midrange SS at 1,365, or 16,380 a year. He was 53 when it happened (or maybe 51 when original trial) and till his retirement at age of 67, he'd pay her 262,080, and that's if judges would allow SS for this long, and would not impute her income at at least minimum wage. Instead of that, he gave up his half of equity in the house, or equivalent of 300k being his part. She also got by that agreement 2,000 a month rental income from their investment flat. I'd say his SS obligations were completed in full and in advance, which is why first judge allowed that.
                  Economically speaking it would've be better for him to sell the house and pay SS for the next 16 years - he'd receive roughly 130k back in taxes, so technically this deal was bad for him.

As for the second judge - if it was discovered she was indeed tricked at minimum they should've say we will discuss the entire NFP and SS, but they couldn't order her SS without reviewing the equalization.
                  Last edited by respondent; 08-05-2022, 02:53 PM.

Comment

He had several kids! When you have multiple kids the cs goes up! So he just takes off and leaves her to raise four kids—two with special needs—and you think thats ok? Do you know how much one child with special needs costs annually?

Boo hoo buddy, everyone has a responsibility and if you don’t like it, dont get married, have kids or get divorced!

Comment

He had several kids! When you have multiple kids the cs goes up! So he just takes off and leaves her to raise four kids�two with special needs�and you think thats ok? Do you know how much one child with special needs costs annually?

Boo hoo buddy, everyone has a responsibility and if you don�t like it, dont get married, have kids or get divorced!
                      But he was paying his CS responsibilities just fine. And if she didn't try to abuse the system he'd continue paying it.

Comment

He had several kids! When you have multiple kids the cs goes up! So he just takes off and leaves her to raise four kids�two with special needs�and you think thats ok? Do you know how much one child with special needs costs annually?

Boo hoo buddy, everyone has a responsibility and if you don�t like it, dont get married, have kids or get divorced!
                        Lol, exactly true , thats why men arent getting married here. Half the kids are raised in broken households . Compare these statistics to a developing country.

Special needs kids also get similar benefits from taxes ,Disability Credit ,etc .

He did not take off ,till the system screwed him ,he held back and fought. I salute him for his patience and he still remembers his kid sending birthday presents . You expect him to die homeless on the streeets in retirement to pay support to a spendthrift who is using the system ?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexLitty View Post
                          Special needs kids also get similar benefits from taxes ,Disability Credit ,etc .
                          You believe ex's live large on cs, ow, odsp - so I'm not surprised you feel the disability tax credit supports the disabled's needs.

Comment

You believe ex's live large on cs, ow, odsp - so I'm not surprised you feel the disability tax credit supports the disabled's needs.
                            Actually even without disability credits the ex of man that fled was getting 4,000 a month in CS, and around 2,800 a months UCCB, as she wasn't working, making it 6,800 tax free money a month, and on top of that she got a house.
                            I am sure taking care child with disability takes significant effort and money, but probably there are some additional credits. Point is for 6,800 a months tax free she could afford to survive without making a new claim for SS. And if you think it isn't enough, she was also getting 2,000 a month rent from their flat. For everyone else to get such money tax free you need to earn around 180k a year depending on a province - it is way above average salary in Canada.

Comment

Actually even without disability credits the ex of man that fled was getting 4,000 a month in CS, and around 2,800 a months UCCB, as she wasn't working, making it 6,800 tax free money a month, and on top of that she got a house.
                              I am sure taking care child with disability takes significant effort and money, but probably there are some additional credits. Point is for 6,800 a months tax free she could afford to survive without making a new claim for SS. And if you think it isn't enough, she was also getting 2,000 a month rent from their flat. For everyone else to get such money tax free you need to earn around 180k a year depending on a province - it is way above average salary in Canada.

Actually she was getting about $3000 in cs and $1500 ccb (based on the online calculator). Which is $4500 per month. Lets just spitball on her expenses…$500 a month on mortgage, $200 gas, $400 electrical, $600 car/insurance/gas, $1200 groceries plus additional expenses of say $500. Thats almost $4000 right there at probably reduced costs.

I’m not saying she is right, Im saying dont go blasting about how much money she “gets” when she has four mouths to feed and house.

Comment

I am sure taking care child with disability takes significant effort and money, but probably there are some additional credits.
                                Not following this thread closely, but just want to comment on Respondents comment that it does take significant effort and money to support children with special needs (I have 2). I know many families through my network of having children with special needs that choose to have a parent stay home full-time, because its so demanding. Your consistently being called by caretakers, schools, programs etc, its difficult to hold down a full-time job. Daycare for working parents is next to impossible, you basically have to fund it yourself, as the mainstream daycares cant handle their needs. And special needs providers don't come cheap. Summer camps with extra staff, crazy expensive.

There is added expensive such as clothing, my one son can chew threw a shirt in one day. Some are destructive, and your constantly replacing household items. The primary caregiver is often in need of respite care. Think you can run out quick for groceries and leave a 12 year old for an hour, not happening/not safe. And the ordeal of taking them with you, not worth it. Thank you pandemic for making grocery delivery so easy & fast.

Yes, there is a lot of funding to help you, but that's almost another full-time job finding it and doing all the paperwork. Hint to special needs parents, keep a CAS file open as long as you can, they are a good resource for funding and paperwork.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X