Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:35 PM

Kkc is on a distinguished road
Default Grandparent tracking my kids devices

Hi

More messed up shit from ex and her family

This morning I noted a message on daughter I phone stating that a device is travelling with you that is not registers to you.

People have been known to track targets by placing AirTags in the car and apple will warn you.

I was able to trace that maternal grandma had the ability to track her location at all times. The mysterious device were AirPods

I emailed the grandmother asking what was going on and she said she buys their devices so she tracks them all. I asked her to stop as this is not appropriate. She emailed again saying she will not stop tracking them and to not flatter myself.

I wrote back asking again and stating I’d have no issue taking legal action on her for this and laundry list of conduct (she bitched me out once so hard my son missed school…it’s been bad)

2 minutes later I get a text from a fake number telling me to fuck off.

Likely going to have to deal with this.

Any advice would be good

Plus I don’t think grandma has any right to track my daughter like this
Old 05-15-2022, 11:59 PM

Stillbreathing will become famous soon enough

Can’t you simply remove them?
Old 05-16-2022, 04:16 AM

Nope bc Apple ID and registered
Old 05-16-2022, 07:49 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough
Default Grandparent tracking my kids devices

This isnt the hill to die on. She is being an asshole yes but getting into a fight with her on it isnt worth the energy. Let her track the devices. You have time with your kids as allowed and who gives a shit if she knows. You tell your kids to turn off their devices when they are with you.

And ask your kids to leave their airpods at home.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:56 AM

Re: hill

Grandma has caused significant issues in the situation and now I have the in to bring her into this.

She has a psychopathy and shouldn’t be around the kids. In fact last night, she sent my daughter texts that subtly vilify me.

I see this more or less to standing up to a bully.

Plus she has absolutely no basis for tracking them. I did not attach the emails but basically she states she bought the items so she can track them and what are you going to do about it.

But again the question, I do not think she legally can track the kids this way without us knowing and has to comply with our privacy. I have nothing to hide but it’s just sickening given that she had a live feed camera in my house for 3 months watching everything I did
Old 05-16-2022, 08:16 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Shes baiting you. But if you want to do something, speak to the police as it is a privacy issue. It could be easily solved if the kids left whatever devices she tracks at their mothers house though.

Truly, if you were to get any kind of an order barring her from seeing them/tracking them, it would be difficult to enforce as your ex is also involved with her.

It speaks volumes that as you come to the penultimate time in your case, your former mil is now escalating her behaviour. Take is as a W that you are getting close to ending this crap with your ex.

Remember too that even when this all ends, until she dies you will still have to deal with her and if this bothers you this much, how will you handle special events that normally elicit such heavy emotional reactions?
Old 05-16-2022, 09:09 AM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

KKC: I feel your pain as I am in the same situation. My former in-laws are the primary point of all conflict. Many have suggested I was actually in court against my in-laws and my ex was just a stand-in.

I saw a case in BC where a mother-in-law was added to court proceedings, where it was demonstrated that she was the cause of all the riff, and costs were awarded against her. I'll try to find it and share the link.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:35 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Get them phones while with you and put those phones in a Faraday Key Protector Box. Amazon sells them. Basically, they will track to the box and then disappear.

Get unlocked Android phones and just move the SIM chip from the iPhone to the Google device while the children are with you. That way their number follows them and their SMS friends. Make sure you store their contact list to the SIM chip so it moves.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:49 AM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

I guess a bigger all-encompassing question is: What, if anything, can be done with respect to meddling grandparents? Seems to be a growing theme where grandparents make it their retirement projects to insert themselves in their children’s affairs. Mine, for example, were ‘invisible litigants’ who met and did all the communications with ex’s lawyers, wrote court briefs, and read/analyzed my briefs. My ex was essentially just told where/when to present herself.

Often the grandparents don’t have the restraint to hold themselves back and will badmouth the other parent at will, and your ex will either not correct their behaviour or defend them out of loyalty to their parents. On numerous occasions my kids tell me that grandparents make disparaging comments about me, either directly about me or subtle snide comments about anything related to me, my family or what goes on at my house.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:57 AM

Thx for input

1. Lawyer was planning on naming in upcoming motion

2. With regards to conduct. If they are doing all the leg work and writing the stuff, really no biggie, it is her team. My mom is a forensics accountant and she is good.

3. With respect to behaviour. Our recent order states rules of conduct for us, it extends to involve grandparents…ie grandma talks shit, her daughter is responsible to deal with it.

4. If grandma behaviour cannot be controlled then yes, her ass is grass in court

Here’s what i did…I went really deep into the phone settings and was able to remove her from tracking the device. I sent her an email that would be usable for court but to summarize was…I stopped what you are doing, don’t do it again, there are new rules about conduct, don’t ever interfere with my relationship or I will bring your ass to court and let you explain it all

Essentially it was punching th bully in the nose

It’s interesting all the antics and bad behaviour had grandma lurking in the background personally benefitting but left her daughter holding the bag