how to tell if someone is on legal aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to tell if someone is on legal aid

My ex was not working when we divorced but they were going to school.
    How do I find out if they were on legal aid?

They got a job March of this year, do they still qualify for legal aid?

thanks.

Why does it matter? I know LA lawyers are kind of jerks but what is the relevance?

Comment

I don't understand why you are asking that.

It matters because they were being very aggressive in a frivolous way and increasing my legal bills.

If they are on legal aid again then I will play it differently. I don't want to be an ATM for my lawyer.

Ex is stalling and I don't know why, is there a legal aid reset in January or something because their old lawyer isn't accepting legal aid right now.

Can they qualify for legal aid in January if they are employed right now, by end of the year they would have made more than 25K.

Comment

You need to instruct your lawyer not to engage with them without your consent. Tell them that you want them to send you any correspondence and you will make an appointment for review/action.

Or you can self rep and keep your lawyer on a as needed basis.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
          You need to instruct your lawyer not to engage with them without your consent. Tell them that you want them to send you any correspondence and you will make an appointment for review/action.

Or you can self rep and keep your lawyer on a as needed basis.
          That can increase costs too.

That does not answer my question.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
            Why does it matter? I know LA lawyers are kind of jerks but what is the relevance?
            *GASP*

Come on rockscan... From case law we all helped form on this site by helping WorkingDad that is probably one of the most famous quotes in Family Law. There are 89 uses alone.

THE HONOURABLE MR. JUSTICE A. PAZARATZ

1. The popular beverage has a catchy slogan: “Red Bull gives you wings.”

2. But at this costs hearing, the self-represented Respondent father suggested a wry variation: “Legal Aid gives you wings.”

3. He now seeks costs in relation to a 17 day custody trial which resulted in my 606 paragraph judgment dated November 9, 2011. He won; sole custody. The Applicant mother was represented by counsel. Her poor finances qualified her for Legal Aid. Now she says those same poor finances should excuse her from paying costs.

4. The Respondent asks a valid question: Does she have wings? Can she do whatever she wants in court, without ever worrying about fees – hers or anyone else’s?
            https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...1onsc7476.html

To answer the OP's question:

1. If the other party is on title to a property you can pull the public record to see if there is a legal aid lean on it. Even if it is your own property that you jointly own you should check. There will be a lean.

2. Have a female friend contact opposing counsel by email stating they are looking for representation and have a certificate and if the lawyer will take a certificate.

3. Recommend that the matter be taken to a Legal Aid Settlement Conference. One party has to have legal aid certificate to attend generally. If the other party refuses to attend then they have no certificate usually. Generally, they will have to go to LOA.SC if someone brings it up. Legal Aid doesn't hand out much for family law and is now trying to get their clients to settle versus going to trail... as a result of the linked CASE LAW leveling them. Legal Aid supported cases rarely these days have enough funds to make it to trail. Rot them out on the certificate... Burn their certificate up with time.

Good Luck!
            Tayken
            Last edited by Tayken; 12-04-2021, 01:24 AM.

Comment

You're a self-rep'd applicant going against:
              - self rep'd ex
              - legal aid lawyer
              - Side retainer lawyer
              - regular lawyer

How would you play it differently?

If you're reasonable and the other side isn't, pushing court is the only option to prevent delays and further costs.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X