This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They realize too soon...

I guess this is where I would post the sadness I feel for my bf's children.

When the children returned to their mother's after Christmas, my bf and I went through their rooms and made a box of old toys we are planning on giving to the Salvation Army.
    Today we showed the kids the boxes and asked them if it was okay to give these toys away. His S6 agreed because he said he got lots of stuff for Christmas that he didn't need his old toys... D3 was not so willing, she kept taking things out of the box saying they were special to her.

After about the 6th item we saw a pattern... so we sat the kids down and Dad explained that these toys would be going to children who didn't have a lot of toys and would really like some. D3 asked why other kids didn't have a lot of toys... Dad replies and says that sometimes parents can't always afford to buy their kids a lot of toys, so the toys we donate allow those parents to get toys for their kids...

Whether D3 understood or not she nodded...what saddens me it what came out of S6's mouth... after Dad finished explaining why some kids don't get a lot of toys, he pipes up and says "ya like our mom, she can't buy us anything because she is always broke, she hardly bought us anything for Christmas"

Of course Dad took this opportunity to explain to them that Christmas wasn't just about toys and that just because they didn't get a lot from Mom, they need to be thankful that they did get toys because not every kids gets toys...

D3 asks if they can take some of the toys to mom's house, Dad says he will think about it (knowing he had to speak to mom first) so he emails mom and asks if it would be alright if the kids brought some of their toys to her house... well she responded and went off onto a rant about how he was just trying to up show her by offering her the kids "used" toys and that she didn't want our junk...

Sigh... so since mom won't take the toys the kids agreed to donate.
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X