No announcement yet.

Lawyers do nothing useful for society!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawyers do nothing useful for society!

http://legalgeekery.com/2009/10/02/s...e-for-society/

Think of it this way - when a lawyer helps you to get on with your life, they are out of a job. So where's the incentive for them to actually settle anything?

If I had a lawyer I would be bankrupt, I would see my daughter once a month for a few hours in an access center and I would pay spousal support as long as I live.

Comment

Many lawyers get into the field because, much like others in similar fields, they want to help and make a difference for people. But they do also have to make a living as well. There is a high cost associated with becoming a lawyer and most start their practice with that debt over them, plus a life to maintain, family, kids etc. What may seem like high rates for the service covers these costs of them being able to give you the professional advice through the knowledge they paid for and are now passing on to you.

And agreed on other service providers, there will always be people in need of services. Saying that lawyers have no incentive to help their clients settle is like saying doctors have no incentive to help cure their sick clients. There will always be some in any service industry however most service providers ARE there for the right reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by OntarioDaddy View Post
        Lawyers will never be out of a job.

The same could be said about doctors, mechanics, schools... Any provider of a service.

Yes, although doctors, mechanics and teachers provide useful services. A doctor can cure you, a mechanic will eventually get your car to work properly and teacher's help children develop their minds.

What exactly do lawyers do? They deplete forest with massive amounts of useless paperwork, help in negotiating unenforceable agreements and bull$hit both their clients and judges into believing that whatever they are yapping about in court is the Gospel truth?

And then what happens, more useless paperwork and unenforceable agreements ...

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
          Many lawyers get into the field because, much like others in similar fields, they want to help and make a difference for people. But they do also have to make a living as well. There is a high cost associated with becoming a lawyer and most start their practice with that debt over them, plus a life to maintain, family, kids etc. What may seem like high rates for the service covers these costs of them being able to give you the professional advice through the knowledge they paid for and are now passing on to you.

And agreed on other service providers, there will always be people in need of services. Saying that lawyers have no incentive to help their clients settle is like saying doctors have no incentive to help cure their sick clients. There will always be some in any service industry however most service providers ARE there for the right reasons.

I have no issue with lawyers ( or any other service provider ) earning a decent living when they actually get things done - regardless of how expensive it may become.

I'm certainly not the only one who expects their lawyer to accomplish something useful? How many people in here have wasted disgusting amounts of money on legal bills --- with nothing to show for it. Worse, their legal battle has been ongoing for years with no sign of the finish line?

Comment

Originally posted by Janibel View Post
            Yes, although doctors, mechanics and teachers provide useful services. A doctor can cure you, a mechanic will eventually get your car to work properly and teacher's help children develop their minds.

What exactly do lawyers do? They deplete forest with massive amounts of useless paperwork, help in negotiating unenforceable agreements and bull$hit both their clients and judges into believing that whatever they are yapping about in court is the Gospel truth?

And then what happens, more useless paperwork and unenforceable agreements ...
            how much of that is the lawyers fault vs their clients fault? They have to do what their client instructs them to do as long as it isn't illegal. Yes they can refuse but then they would get the reputation of not following clients wishes.

Comment

I think what Janibel means is that some lawyers dont encourage settlement, even when their clients may be leaning that way because it lightens their wallet.

Comment

If I didn't utilize a lawyer for my divorce I'd likely be in the Big House now, doing time for murder1.

Comment

Originally posted by LovingFather32 View Post
                  I think what Janibel means is that some lawyers dont encourage settlement, even when their clients may be leaning that way because it lightens their wallet.
                  The it is up to the client to say stop. If a client really is leaning towards settling then they need to put the brakes on their lawyer and say that they want to settle. Its the clients that are not really ready to settle that keep it going.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                    The it is up to the client to say stop. If a client really is leaning towards settling then they need to put the brakes on their lawyer and say that they want to settle. Its the clients that are not really ready to settle that keep it going.
                    I believe some lawyers may insinuate to their clients that settling wouldn't be in their best interests for a) .. b) ... c) Need another LAO certificate for that vacation .. etc.

Just like that dateline episode where the car was brought into the mechanics in perfectly good shape and the mechanic invented problems (pulled a few tubes out of joint) and said the car had to stay the week for another_____$.

My lawyer's very good and reasonably priced so Im not complaining about her at all ... but I'm positive this does occur with lawyers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by OntarioDaddy View Post
                      Like already started, the lawyer is simply doing what the client instructs.
                      Always? You know that for a fact?

Comment

Originally posted by LovingFather32 View Post
                        I'm glad somebody got what I'm trying to say ... My Ex's husband's lawyer (number 3 btw)has done everything in his power to escalate an already difficult situation. Obvious to me that he wants to keep ex hubby on the payroll until he's broke!

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                          If I didn't utilize a lawyer for my divorce I'd likely be in the Big House now, doing time for murder1.
                          LMAO! and with your luck your cell-mate would have abundant ear-wax lol!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Janibel View Post
                            LMAO! and with your luck your cell-mate would have abundant ear-wax lol!!!
                            Phew! First time I laughed out loud all night! Thanks for that!

I have to agree, having a lawyer to do the talking is relieving.

Comment

The law is like cutting the grass, you could do it yourself but it,s easier hire someone to do it for you, like a gardener. Remember the law is made from all of our struggles, it is engrained within our social order. The law becomes more complicated everyday in order to increase the chances of Justice. Key point here is THE CHANCES OF JUSTICE.

What does a good lawyer do? They play up the circumstances, they accept their clients word as the truth , They lie cheat and mislead, and then do damage control when all else fails. What does a great lawyer do? All of the above but to the highest extream. The more success the more money and I totally agree. That,s the job. Your chances of success for your client rest on this strategy. If lying was punished then things would be different but people lie and lawyers lie better. What I disagree with is the up front payments and the costs, but if people pay then that,s the price.

Being a family law lawyer is a draining and down right sleazy job and I know I could not do it. I self rept and I cleaned up in the court room. What did I learn? If I had lied, mislead and cheated I know I could have done way better. Ya its sick, but that,s the law.

Lastly I tried to help a fried of a friend self rep himself and the guy drove me nuts, he kept on wanting to include arguments like a valentines day card 2 years back where the ex writes she loves him, trying to show prove how he would never abuse her kind of stuff and other useless info, but he is the boss so to speak, of cource I wasn,t charging him. Ridiculous and that is just the begining, this guy stirred me up to the point I found myself yelling at him. LOL. I had to give up and that,s when I realized why we have lawyers. Don,t like them don,t use them or be frugal and fight for moneys worth out of them like any other profession.
                              Last edited by Franklin; 06-12-2015, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X