• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick kids on transfer day

Just curious how others handle this.

2-2-5-5

Mom M-TU
    Dad W-TH

Mom takes kids to school Wednesday morning. I pick them up.

If the child is sick Wednesday morning who watches the kid(s)? Should mom not go to work or should dad obtain child and stay home from work.

Our agreement is not clear. Personally I don't care which way it goes but I want to put something in writing so it's clear.

Does anyone have wording to cover this?

I also do not have this written down, and also find this to be a bit nebulous.

I would assert that in this configuration, it looks like you're on deck for Wednesday.

If your ex insists on taking the sick day and watching your kid, and lets you pick the kid up after your work, and there are no current shenanigans surrounding time and access, then by all means, let her lol

Comment

Your access actually starts after school (might be worded specifically that way or it just may be alluded to). And it makes most sense for child to stay where they are sleeping the morning of (if they have been up all night throwing up then just let them stay in bed if you can until the time the other parent would normally pick them up.

That's what we do. Although, to be honest, no matter which way we do it there is normally resistance.

Comment

Like I said I don't really care either way I just think we need to agree on something.

I believe that my access does start after school and therefore the parent with the child in the morning should stay home or make other arrangements.

So if I have the kids Sunday night and one of them is sick Monday it would be my responsibility to care for them until a transfer could take place.

It makes it a lot easier as one parent could have already gone to work and then have to leave.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

And you typically know a lot of the time the night before or through the night that they are indeed sick and might not be able to attend school

Comment

I guess it depends.

If the child is sick and doesn't go to school at all, they should remain where at the house they are at until the other parent comes to pick them up.

If they go to sick but want to go home because they don't feel well, I think it would fall upon the parent whose parenting time would begin at the end of school. Why? Because the end of the child's school day is either a) the normal days end, or b) when they call to go home because they are sick. Either way, their day is done and the parent who picks them up at the end of the day should do it.

I do think that the above could cause issues as the parent in the morning could just send the kid to school sick. But if the parents are reasonable, I would think they would do better for their kids.

Comment

I agree with hammer dad's approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
                Yup, that makes the most sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
                  If the child is sick and doesn't go to school at all, they should remain where at the house they are at until the other parent comes to pick them up.

If they go to sick but want to go home because they don't feel well, I think it would fall upon the parent whose parenting time would begin at the end of school...
                  What HammerDad has outlined, is what I and Mom do with our son, with a "similar" kind of schedule. It seems to mostly work well. But in that case, I'm dealing with the usually more reasonable ex. Sometimes we vary it, if one parent has more "sick days" than the other. Results will vary, depending on if your ex is being reasonable or not.

Comment

I approve..

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
                      Yup, that makes the most sense to me.
                      Yep, makes the most sense to me too.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
                        I guess it depends.

If they go to sick but want to go home because they don't feel well, I think it would fall upon the parent whose parenting time would begin at the end of school. Why? Because the end of the child's school day is either a) the normal days end, or b) when they call to go home because they are sick. Either way, their day is done and the parent who picks them up at the end of the day should do it.

I do think that the above could cause issues as the parent in the morning could just send the kid to school sick. But if the parents are reasonable, I would think they would do better for their kids.
                        I agree with this scenario.

This is basically what happened yesterday. Child was fine at school and came to me after school as expected.

I had received 13 phone calls that morning while I was in the shower telling me the child was sick and I needed to be there for him. I was not at home so she couldn't just drop him off to me but I was heading home in an hour, but that didn't work for her as she had to be at work so she sent him to school.

When I finally did call her back she started to yell at me because she got pulled over while driving and using her phone. It was all my fault because I didn't answer the phone so she had to keep calling until I answered... I guess her voicemail wasn't enough. I told her to stop yelling at me or I was going to hangup which I eventually did.

Anyway I'm going to send her an email outlining how I think this should go in the future and see if I can get her to agree so this kind of situation doesn't happen again.

Thank you all.

Comment

Originally posted by FB_ View Post
                          ...I had received 13 phone calls that morning while I was in the shower telling me the child was sick and I needed to be there for him...

...When I finally did call her back she started to yell at me because she got pulled over while driving and using her phone. It was all my fault because I didn't answer the phone so she had to keep calling until I answered...
                          Chuckle.

Did some of the message go like this (some of my personal favourites, from the less-cooperative ex)?
                          "you need to call me back, and take him/her. Be a Dad."
                          "r u f$cken kidding me? ur not going to take him/her? You better call me"
                          "If you don't take her and he/she gets sick u wont be getting him/her"

Like I said, the arrangement works, but the other party has to be reasonable. :-)
                          Last edited by dad2bandm; 09-18-2014, 11:59 AM. Reason: Clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by FB_ View Post
                            Just curious how others handle this.

2-2-5-5

Mom M-TU
                            Dad W-TH

Mom takes kids to school Wednesday morning. I pick them up.

If the child is sick Wednesday morning who watches the kid(s)? Should mom not go to work or should dad obtain child and stay home from work.

Our agreement is not clear. Personally I don't care which way it goes but I want to put something in writing so it's clear.

Does anyone have wording to cover this?
                            Generally Wednesday on the 2-2-5-5 is your day if you are the picking up parent. If a child is sick the drop off parent should drop off at your home. You would stay home with the child. Same goes for the returning Friday (or Monday) in that rotation.

Residence starts at the time of drop off always.

Somewhere I detailed out the full set of instructions from a Section 30 evaluation I pulled out of a court record. Search the forum ... It is somewhere here.

Remember over-nights is what is counted... So if the child is residing at your residence that night... It is your residential day.

Good Luck!
                            Tayken

Comment

Your access actually starts after school (might be worded specifically that way or it just may be alluded to). And it makes most sense for child to stay where they are sleeping the morning of (if they have been up all night throwing up then just let them stay in bed if you can until the time the other parent would normally pick them up.
                              Quite the contrary. I have never seen a Section 30 or OCL report where it is the parent's responsibility where the child is not residing with them that night. The orders I have seen from Section 30 / OCL where 2-2-5-5 is outlined have the transfer of responsibility in the morning and not after school.

The reason being is that it is too complex for the school to figure it out. If the child is residing over night with a parent it is their residential day typically. The parent comes and gets the sick child and the sick child stays with that parent over night to the next day.

Good Luck!
                              Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X