Abusive husband files false charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
    i can understand that but what happens the time that the person being abused is killed by the abuser. I would rather have the cops make err on the side of caution.
    I would rather the cops make an arrest when they have reasonable belief that 1)a crime was committed, and 2)they have cause to know who did it.

I completely disagree with an approach that shoots first and asks questions later. Lives are ruined when this happens.

As for erring on the side of caution becuase of the possiblity that someone gets killed, there are approximately 75 murders a year in the GTA. A good portion of those are not domestic violence related, and a good portion are.

How many arrests for domestic violence do you think happen every year? Thousands, tens of thousands? Is it just to falsely arrest hundreds or thousands on say so evidence? If so, can we now just call the cops every time we think Joe or Mary drove drunk and have them arrested?

Domestic violence is not cool at all, either man or woman, period. But that doesn't open the door to charging people on a person's word alone, especially an emotional, separating spouse. There must be something to corroborate the allegation.

Comment

Originally posted by billiechic View Post
      link??????
      Gone again.

Comment

darn. Like the Polkaroo...missed him again!

I do agree that there is A LOT of damage done from a domestic assault arrest. There needs to be evidence. Solid evidence.

I could have had my ex charged, but I didn't. It isn't always the right way to go. Sure, it would have got me sole custody and prevented the ridiculousness that is going on now. But I knew I would be leaving shortly and warned him that if he ever touched me again I would be charging him. Sure, he just increased the mental abuse, but I got out. And that was all that mattered to me at the time. I still don't regret that choice because it let him CHOOSE to be a good dad. Could I live with it if I had been the one who took that from my daughter..NO.

So yeah, I do agree with DTTE. just coming in and saying "he hit me" is not enough. Maybe they should be having the victims and accused assessed by a psychiatrist or something; behaviour tells a lot and it might help weed out the liars. Sure, it would cost taxpayer money, but we are spending it anyway in these cases and in law enforcement costs.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X