Letter from child to divorcing parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter from child to divorcing parents

Every parent going through seperation and divorce should watch this...

When His Parents Got Divorced, This Kid Wrote Them a Letter, and It?s a Must-Read For All of Us. – FaithIt.com

While the message is good the first thing that comes to my mind is "which person/parent coached this child to read this letter?"

I think the 'letter' would be much more effective if it were in the child's words, not that of an adult. Perhaps this is part of an advertising campaign for a counselling service?

Comment

For many parents the fear of what divorce does to their children may keep them in a bad marriage longer than necessary. It was true in my case.

It was a mistake ... my son who is in his 20's knew what was happening though I tried my best to 'sugar-coat' things and minimize it for his sake. He told me recently that he would have preferred being from a broken family than living in one.

The guilt associated with a failed marriage is one more problem to deal with.

Comment

I found this letter patronizing and preachy. Nobody (well, except for a few sociopaths) thinks it will be fun for the kids if mom and dad get divorced. Every parent with half a brain can see that it takes a toll on the kids. But for the vast majority of divorced parents, divorce was the least-worst option. I think most of us with kids who opt for divorce do so because we honestly believe that the children will be worse off if we remain married, not because we think it's easy or a minor inconvenience for them.

Comment

I agree with Arabian. The letter would be much more believable if it was written in language that a child that age would actually use. While I understand the message this video is portraying it certainly loses its touch knowing those aren't the words of that child.

Comment

Two happy homes is better than one unhappy home. That was my reasoning back then, and it hasn't changed.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X