Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2018, 05:33 PM
Codename Codename is offline
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 30
Codename is on a distinguished road
Default Federal Support Guidlines or Quebec Guidlines

I was hoping that someone can clarify the Support Tables.
ie: Woman (Y) has a 3 year old meets and moves in with X and they have a child together. The three year old never met there father. X and Y separate after 3 years and they both live in Ontario. Y and X have a court order that X is to pay child support for the two children at 80% of the Federal Guideline (Ontario) $1000 a month. the 80% was based because the three year old's father who is now 6 was to pay $100 a month. Now X takes both children every weekend for visitation, even takes both of them on holidays, parties. The child calls X daddy ever since he came into the picture.

So now that the child is much older he has been a handful to both parents. But X wants nothing to do with him since he is not "a good boy". One question was brought up is when your natural child is not a good child are you going to throw them away too. Anyway mom when separated moved to the Quebec side and X always stayed in Ontario. Y asked for X to increase child support after 10 years. Apparently X's salary tripled in the last ten years. So X applied to the courts in Quebec that he wants his stepchild off and not to pay support for them because he was never this child's father. And X want's child support to be based on the Quebec guidelines for his other child and not the federal guidelines. I have to tell you that in the agreement it is written that he is in loco parentis for this child.

My research shows that a: this guy has been seeing his non biological child for ten years every weekend and now that this child is acting up like every normal child does X wants nothing to do with this child. b: X new that each year he should of increased child support since his salary was going up and up but never did anything. I guess he figured well Y isn't asking so why should I divulge anything. c: X has never lived in Quebec and the child support order is a court order in Ontario which states 80% of the Federal Guidelines for two children.

So now the question is this why would he hire a Quebec lawyer and petition to pay the Quebec guidelines and not the Federal. I saw in Canlaw that parents that live in two provinces they use the federal guideline. Is this guy different?
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:27 AM
blinkandimgone's Avatar
blinkandimgone blinkandimgone is offline
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 5,411
blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

Motions to change need to be filed where the children reside. You said you moved to Quebec with the children. That would be why he filed there.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:05 PM
Codename Codename is offline
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 30
Codename is on a distinguished road

Never legally married.
Moved to Quebec after separation
Child support was based on the federal guidelines
He works in Ontario
Motion is filed in Quebec now
He does not want to pay the federal guidelines since Quebec does not recognize common law
Now my support payment drops hundreds of dollars because I am told I have to use the Quebec guidelines.
I was told that if I had been married and moved to Quebec than the Federal guidelines would of applied
So why was the first child support that was filed in Ontario while I was living in Quebec and he living in Ontario accepted for 8 years and now that I have asked for an increase he wants to pay the Quebec guidelines.
I do have a motion on the Ontario side which is coming up soon for increase in child support.
Like I said he filed a motion in Quebec to pay Quebec guidelines.
Can the judge in Quebec continue to use the federal guidelines
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:22 PM
rockscan rockscan is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5,662
rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

If you live in Quebec then the tables for Quebec apply. It doesnt matter if you were married, child support is for the child.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Children's bennefits Wiser2008 Financial Issues 21 05-03-2019 06:21 AM
The suit against FRO moves forward part1 AtALoss Divorce & Family Law 51 09-30-2013 11:01 AM
child support while child is in university verytiredmother Divorce & Family Law 43 01-13-2013 04:02 AM
press release: Ontario's Family Responsibility office Peggy Parenting Issues 8 10-22-2010 10:20 AM
Will I be Paying Spousal Support? North of You Financial Issues 5 10-21-2009 03:05 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:40 PM.