Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My lawyer:I get share of the house.Common-law's lawyer:I get nothing.True?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@standing on the sidelines: I am sorry if I offended you. I have a lot of anger for his family. They took private information about me and my family - which they were never privy to and only knew because their son, my spouse - invaded my privacy and has been doing so for the past 12 years. They took that information - that for other people without such horrific people in their "family" would remain confidential - and blabbed it all over town. They are horrific individuals who don't care who they hurt.

Comment

Thank you very much, Arabian. I very much appreciate your advice.

Comment

It is difficult, but imperative, as you move forward to try to leave the emotion out of everything. Stick to the facts. Always make sure that your allegations are corroborated by irrefutable evidence.

Judges do not care if you think your ex, or his family, are monsters. Judges hear inflammatory, high-conflict cases every day.....they've heard it all before. Therefore prepare your position in a fact-driven manner.

Comment

That's good advice. Thank you. This is all new territory for me.

Comment

As mentioned, Lawyers will say what ever it takes to get you into court for a long battle. This is how they make a living....they can earn a couple thousand off of ex's who settle and compromise or $50,000 + if they can get it to court!

They love to play up people when it comes to grey areas, which is exactly where you are in, even if you only have the very slightest of chance on winning any compensation.

Don't be a sucker like so many others. Do your own research and pick the winnable battles to fight!

Comment

@co

@cowcash4ex - I hear what you are saying, but this lawyer really attempted to discourage me from going to court. She said it would cost thousands of dollars and that it would be significantly cheaper to settle out of court. This is the same lawyer who said that I would have a share of the house - NOT 50% as other posters on here have been saying. I don't want 50% of his house. I just want what's fair, meaning the amount the house has increased in value since I moved in here, divided by 2. That's all, and I think a lot of people would say that's fair. I gave 12 years of my life to this man. I moved in here because I thought we were a family. Now he wants me and my child (our child) to leave with the clothes on our backs, essentially. Not happening.

Comment

On the other end, your ex lawyers is most likely telling him not to settle and take it to court as Common Law doesn't usually include splitting assets. If you qualify for Legal Aid would give you an advantage as you wont have to pay legal fees. But if he wins you could have to pay his legal fees. Its almost a roll of the dice what could happen.

Comment

as far as I understand, your common law. His house is his. You have a clear case for c/s and s/s. But its his house. you would be wasting money on lawyers fighting that.

Comment

I don’t think you will get 1/2 of the increased equity of the house either. You didn’t pay into it.

You could qualify for compensatory support if he has increased his standing at work while you cared for the baby.

Don’t forget it was your decision to stay home too (and live with a man and have a child without marrying).

Comment

Originally posted by SadAndTired View Post
                      I don’t think you will get 1/2 of the increased equity of the house either. You didn’t pay into it.
                      If they lived together for 12 years, an argument could certainly be made that there was a commingling of financial assets. This would imply that she did in fact pay into the house in some fashion.

The difference of course is that it is not automatic. Belle was wrong in thinking that the courts would try to make everything "fair", courts don't care about fair very much at all. But I think other posters are wrong when they say that she has no chance. It is all about risk and reward. If the house went up in value by $400,000.... it would certainly be worth trying to get a piece of that.

Don’t forget it was your decision to stay home too (and live with a man and have a child without marrying).
                      I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. There is no blame. Marriage is a game with a winner and a loser. In this case, marriage would have helped Belle, but her failure to get married doesn't make her more or less deserving of money, it just makes her less entitled to it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X