Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:43 PM

gettingexpensive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingDad1234 View Post
OK, glad to hear you are fully on top of what to expect.
Baptism by fire... but I now understand the game, and the illness a lot more. I have a good lawyer that is on top of things, although far from cheap.

I realized that I was in for the long run when I received a letter from her lawyer with a paragraph about how she wanted to return a pizza peel and a cooking book. The list of households assets for the division included 500 items (including a mini spatula and the kids bicycle gloves) for which she wanted me to put a $ value next to each item and then, I'd have to give her money for whatever crap she doesn't want.

But the kids now sleep well. They have less stress (in general) and do good in school. And that's the key.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:13 AM

Mother is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingexpensive View Post
Baptism by fire... but I now understand the game, and the illness a lot more. I have a good lawyer that is on top of things, although far from cheap.

I realized that I was in for the long run when I received a letter from her lawyer with a paragraph about how she wanted to return a pizza peel and a cooking book. The list of households assets for the division included 500 items (including a mini spatula and the kids bicycle gloves) for which she wanted me to put a $ value next to each item and then, I'd have to give her money for whatever crap she doesn't want.

But the kids now sleep well. They have less stress (in general) and do good in school. And that's the key.
And I thought our case was bad, although "I'll give you a bag of potatoes I took and you give me a lamp" or something like this also happened.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:43 AM

Helpmyspouse is on a distinguished road

I got some really crazy demands as well. For two years ex wouldn't agree to sell the matrimonial home. He demanded and ranted that I "give him the divorce first and then we sell the home". He was stuck on this and by then he had fired his 4th lawyer and had no lawyer. It was a crazy train I could not get off. Buckle up, it's going to be a long drawn out ride. 7 years and I'm still on the train trying to negotiate with a terrorist.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:55 AM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingexpensive View Post
I realized that I was in for the long run when I received a letter from her lawyer with a paragraph about how she wanted to return a pizza peel and a cooking book. The list of households assets for the division included 500 items (including a mini spatula and the kids bicycle gloves) .
I got a 65 page excel spreadsheet from mine, with values already assigned to each item. I have to give her some credit, it was kinda awesome. Some of the items had assigned values under a dollar. Most were at the original purchase price.

I told her she could have the items and I would take half of the assigned value. She never brought it up again.

I did take about half of the stuff when I moved out, and she never did anything about it. To be fair I wasn't a total jerk about it and left some of the stuff I knew she wanted.

Quote:
for which she wanted me to put a $ value next to each item and then, I'd have to give her money for whatever crap she doesn't want
"Unless I hear otherwise, I will assume that every item I keep has a value of 10 cents, and I agree to pay you appropriately."
Old 11-20-2019, 10:43 AM

LovingDad1234 is on a distinguished road

Mine moved out of the house taking all the furniture and belongings while I was away for a week, knowing very well that it would cost me more in legal fees to negotiate getting my fair share of belongings back.

Family Law is a joke. By the time it gets to trial, the judge would suggest everything gets a "kijiji" price value, which is hardly fair. They don't take into account that it was WRONG to take everything at their whim, rather than sitting down like adults and fairly dividing things. They don't take into account that it is a pain to shop for new furniture, get it home, and then assembled. Or perhaps the furniture you had (and want) is no longer available for sale in stores. Moreover, they don't take into account that you may not be in a position to replace that $4,000 living room set (which your ex took) as your financial resources are now strapped to paying supports and a lawyer.

I've been told that judges don't want to deal with petty furniture dividing either when things such as custody and access are at stake. My lawyer advised me to "let it go" and rather focus on winning on the children-related stuff. Make it as simple as possible in court.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:47 PM

Mother is an unknown quantity at this point

Coming back home after work to an empty house was a feeling I will never forget. Oh it wasn't completely empty. A couch, a couple of glasses in the kitchen, a spoon, a couple of plates, a fork, a knife, a bed in a guest room. And they left for vacation with the new beau. They still have the stuff they took, not the beau though. The beau is history now. There is another one, can't remember the number of the new one, none less than 6 or 7.