Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:30 PM

FightingForFamily will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninehundredt View Post
This is the initial case conference, and from what you're saying it will be an introduction to the process more than anything. I haven't brought any motions, as they would have to be EM's for which there is no urgency.

As for any evidence I have in support of my case (emails)....can this be shown during the CC, or must it be filed prior to the conference?
At a case conference the justice will look at your conference brief (which is not part of the continuing record and thrown away after the conference) and maybe one or two other things (application, answer and reply) and give you their opinion on the positions of both parties based on what they see in this very limited paperwork.

Evidence will not be introduced and no one will be allowed to testify. You are correct this is just the first step in the process and not much will happen aside from making sure everyone's paperwork is in order, can the case be settled easily (or parts of it), and what should the next step be.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:34 PM

ninehundredt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingForFamily View Post
At a case conference the justice will look at your conference brief (which is not part of the continuing record and thrown away after the conference) and maybe one or two other things (application, answer and reply) and give you their opinion on the positions of both parties based on what they see in this very limited paperwork.

Evidence will not be introduced and no one will be allowed to testify. You are correct this is just the first step in the process and not much will happen aside from making sure everyone's paperwork is in order, can the case be settled easily (or parts of it), and what should the next step be.
Fantastic. So regarding this 'conference brief' you mentioned....where does this document come from? Is it a court prepared summary based off of the application and responses of each party?
Old 04-29-2014, 03:43 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Fantastic. So regarding this 'conference brief' you mentioned....where does this document come from? Is it a court prepared summary based off of the application and responses of each party?
It is something you have to write and submit.

I will PM you an example.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB_ View Post
It is something you have to write and submit.

I will PM you an example.
Awesome. Was I supposed to submit this beforehand, or can I submit it the morning before the conference?
Old 04-29-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Awesome. Was I supposed to submit this beforehand, or can I submit it the morning before the conference?
How to Prepare for a Case Conference in the Superior Court of Justice | The Law Society of Upper Canada

EDIT: My Lawyer attached all our "offers to settle" to our case conference brief.

You should send two if you have not already done so. The first on a temporary basis to allow you to see kid(s) and the second to settle things on a final basis.

Last edited by FB_; 04-29-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:19 PM

Thank you for the helpful information. I tried PM'ing you, but your inbox is apparently at quota.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the helpful information. I tried PM'ing you, but your inbox is apparently at quota.
Should be fixed

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 PM

I've responded to the adjournment notice, and requested that they consider mediation. Although I don't like the idea of delaying this any longer than it needs to be, this is time I desperately need for preparation.

Once again thank you to everyone on here for being so helpful to those of us going through this. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:12 AM

Update. So my first case conference is rescheduled for the beginning of June. I'm consulting with a lawyer next week to get some feedback, but otherwise self representing. The FLIC office won't help me because I live above the poverty line, so I'm on my own.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:33 AM

Canadaguy is on a distinguished road

Did the judge say anything? Were you able to ask for mediation in front of the judge and have her lawyer say no?

What is the status of your access now? Is she still denying you access? Have you filed an emergency motion to gain access back to your kids?

What documents are you required to complete for CC in June?

Tags
case conference, ocl, separation