Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:13 PM

ninehundredt is on a distinguished road

I decided to ditch my lawyer today, and will be filing the change in representation in the morning. Look's like I'll be heading into self rep land for the foreseeable future. I think I've had enough exposure to the process over the past couple of years of retaining a lawyer to hopefully be effective. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:17 PM

paco has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninehundredt View Post
I decided to ditch my lawyer today, and will be filing the change in representation in the morning. Look's like I'll be heading into self rep land for the foreseeable future. I think I've had enough exposure to the process over the past couple of years of retaining a lawyer to hopefully be effective. Fingers crossed.
May the Force be with you

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco View Post
May the Force be with you

Thanks! It's been on the back of my mind for awhile. Ever since this case got stirred up again this past July, he hasn't been giving it 100%. I figure it's going to take me at least six more months to pay off my remaining balance with him. Live and learn.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninehundredt View Post
Thanks! It's been on the back of my mind for awhile. Ever since this case got stirred up again this past July, he hasn't been giving it 100%. I figure it's going to take me at least six more months to pay off my remaining balance with him. Live and learn.
Yeap...they're not cheap at all, even 'till now still sounds his advice in my ear: "...you should get a mortgage to have a great lawyer by your side...bla bla bla", and I ended up self represented, takes lots of time for sure, but who else knows better your case than you?
My advice to you is to make as many offers you can to the other party before you all enter the trial, after that only a judge dictates, and try to avoid trial as much as you can, it's a lottery.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Yeap...they're not cheap at all, even 'till now still sounds his advice in my ear: "...you should get a mortgage to have a great lawyer by your side...bla bla bla", and I ended up self represented, takes lots of time for sure, but who else knows better your case than you?
My advice to you is to make as many offers you can to the other party before you all enter the trial, after that only a judge dictates, and try to avoid trial as much as you can, it's a lottery.

That's good advice. We had settled previously, so realistically all I'm trying to do is return to the previous arrangement at a minimum. This should not go to trial.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Just do your homework, be diligent and treat it more seriously than your job. You can do it, I encourage everybody to self rep
Old 03-10-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links17 View Post
Just do your homework, be diligent and treat it more seriously than your job. You can do it, I encourage everybody to self rep
I'll see how it goes. I suppose the worst case scenario is that I lose time and eventually hire another attorney. I'll update the thread again soon with my progress.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:41 PM

So I've drafted an offer to settle per Tayken's advice in hopes of getting the access rolling with the exchange centre. The more I look into the examples I'm seeing, it seems that these are normally served right before a motion, or for final settlement.

Since I am awaiting an OCL disclosure I'm not sure if this is the appropriate way to try getting the interim order updated. Is it ok to just make an offer to settle and only specify changes to the interim order, or should I be doing something different? My first week trying to self rep is nerve racking. I'm afraid I'm going to make some critical mistake.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:34 PM

You should avoid supervised access, if you're using this centre just for transfer exchanges that's fine

Old 03-21-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
You should avoid supervised access, if you're using this centre just for transfer exchanges that's fine

I'm just (supposed to be) using the centre for exchanges. The time and location are incorrect on the interim order. I've sent a written request to her lawyer to get the ball rolling on changing it. He has not responded. Per Tayken's advice the next step is to send an offer to settle. She's continuing to use access to the kids as a bargaining chip.

Tags
case conference, ocl, separation