This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Estranged couple squares off over 16K engagement ring"

Estranged couple squares off over $16K engagement ring - British Columbia - CBC News

I wonder if either of them have tallied up their legal bills so far to see how much the totals have exceeded the ring's value ...

"I clipped his toenails, I did his hair, I tinted his beard, I waxed his chest, I massaged his feet.”
    Good lawd. Lucky she stopped elaborating...I just ate lunch.

Comment

Jeez.

Quoted from the linked article,
      "The pair met on the dating website Plenty of Fish and got engaged three weeks later. They were together for about 20 months."

That explains a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
        Someone asked the following question in the comments section

How about they just go 50/50?
        Better idea...don't get married again no ring.

Comment

She also disputes Zampieri's claim that he was willing to give her one of his kidneys.

"I asked him, he said no.”

What is wrong with people? Honestly, after such a short time together she should give back the ring - at the very least they should sell it and split the proceeds.

I'd rather lie in the road, wait for a steamroller and be hung on a close-line than get married again!!!

Comment

"Really...what a bold statement, did you say that with a straight face?"

Look at my avatar, what do you see? No, I wasn't serious about the clothes line.

Concerning the OP and the ring question, people who go searching for love on a website called 'to many fish" are bound to run into trouble ... stands to reason - there's so many of them because nobody else wants them

Comment

Same goes for match.com, lavalife and the likes.....Those sites do however serve a purpose, for quick hookup shags and move on i.e. no strings attached.

It's the only choice for some people, especially if they are the "homebody" type, that don't like going out and meeting people..i.e. volunteering, hobby clubs etc
              The best man at my wedding met someone from lavalife, and married her, and they are still happily married with kids ten years later. So much for your theory.

Comment

Same goes for match.com, lavalife and the likes.....Those sites do however serve a purpose, for quick hookup shags and move on i.e. no strings attached.

It's the only choice for some people, especially if they are the "homebody" type, that don't like going out and meeting people..i.e. volunteering, hobby clubs etc
                Yes, those sites are fine for book 'em and snook 'em purposes, though a person would have better odds at winning the lottery than finding a so-called soulmate.

It's not the only choice for 'homebody' types who, by the way are not anti-social at all, they simply don't like crowds - big difference.

Comment

I guess I'm old fashioned.

The ring is hers. Period. It was a gift, and now he wants it back?

I understand in the moment one call feel that way, but it's wrong - in my humble opinion.

Comment

When I caught the clip on TV I believe the female mentioned something about business debt which would leave me with the impression that there is more to the issue than a mere engagement ring. Yes, someone can indeed step into massive debt quickly by simply entering into a business which goes 'south.'

I suspect this is a case of the media manipulating the story for ratings.

My opinion is that if you give someone a gift you shouldn't expect to get it back. Does that make me a gold digger? Hardly.

Comment

So you are saying an engagement ring has an implied contract? What happens if one person says it was a "token of affection" and not an engagement ring? I know many gals who have received very expensive pieces of jewelry while dating and I don't believe they returned the jewelry when the relationship ended. Some people buy the g/f or b/f expensive club memberships, trips etc. I don't think I've ever heard of an accounting of things at the end of the courtship.

I guess people have to get written receipts when they give gifts if they expect them to be returned....

Comment

Yes they do during dating, but there aren't many club memberships that cost 16k, unless of cause it's to the Augusta Golf club

Most private golf club memberships are in excess of 30k in Canada

Comment

... companionship, friendship, good sex, travel partner.... not everyone is in it for marriage.

I'm fortunate. People I know give without expecting something in return. They give what they can afford - no strings attached.

Comment

I've got the answer for you Oink! Maybe you should consider "renting" an engagement ring! That way you don't have to actually buy the ring until after she seals the deal! Maybe offer an incentive - a nose ring after she has your first born LOL !

Comment

Just for the record, my EX has her rings...what am i suppose to do with them?
                              Exactly. And you're probably smart enough that you didn't gift a ring that was that expensive, and therefore a burden when if and when it all went to hell.

Furthermore, I feel this way about an 'ENGAGEMENT' ring. A 'WEDDING' ring, may very well hold the cannotations of 'contract' that you espouse.

But even that is a reach, really.

Sometimes you just have to learn not to throw good money after bad.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X