School issues and escalation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School issues and escalation?

If an NCP is having trouble getting the school to return calls, having difficulty with reaching the principal or teachers to discuss matters concerning a child, what options are open to the NCP to resolve or escalate these issues?

For example, if the NCP has tried numerous times to get a teacher to call back to discuss a child's learning difficulties, but there has been no response to messages left, written requests, etc., what can the NCP do to get a response or move things forward? Should the NCP speak to the school board, and if so, who/which department?

Originally posted by Exquizique View Post
    If an NCP is having trouble getting the school to return calls, having difficulty with reaching the principal or teachers to discuss matters concerning a child, what options are open to the NCP to resolve or escalate these issues?

For example, if the NCP has tried numerous times to get a teacher to call back to discuss a child's learning difficulties, but there has been no response to messages left, written requests, etc., what can the NCP do to get a response or move things forward? Should the NCP speak to the school board, and if so, who/which department?
    Is the child 18? That makes a difference.

If the teacher isn't responding, the Principal would be the next step. They may refer you to a VP or guidance counsellor.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
      Is the child 18? That makes a difference.

If the teacher isn't responding, the Principal would be the next step. They may refer you to a VP or guidance counsellor.
      The child is 8. School is out now, would the principal still be reachable at the school?

Comment

The child is 8. School is out now, would the principal still be reachable at the school?
        Usually not until late August.

Comment

The NCP requires some important information that the teacher had promised to send but didn't. Is the NCP's only recourse to wait till the new school year when the principal and teacher is back at school?

Comment

The NCP requires some important information that the teacher had promised to send but didn't. Is the NCP's only recourse to wait till the new school year when the principal and teacher is back at school?
            It would be challenging to get the information from the school board, unless there was some urgency like a medical issue.

Comment

So new school year it is then. Thanks DowntroddenDad.

Comment

It depends on the information. Is this something that would be in the computer file, or would it be something that the teacher knows and should have put into correspondence?

Some staff are usually at the school through the summer handling administrative requests, but this might not be so at a small elementary school. At my daughter's secondary school I could certainly get a response.

The school secretary will usually be able to provide anything that is on the computer file; I've gotten a print out of attendance for the year immediately just by walking in and asking. I've never been asked for identification or proof that I had any level of custody, but your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                  It depends on the information. Is this something that would be in the computer file, or would it be something that the teacher knows and should have put into correspondence?

Some staff are usually at the school through the summer handling administrative requests, but this might not be so at a small elementary school. At my daughter's secondary school I could certainly get a response.

The school secretary will usually be able to provide anything that is on the computer file; I've gotten a print out of attendance for the year immediately just by walking in and asking. I've never been asked for identification or proof that I had any level of custody, but your mileage may vary.
                  As far as I know, it's a report card and some documentation on certain assessments related to the child. No sure if it's something that would be stored in a "computer file" or not. Not entirely familiar with how schools are run/administered in that sense.

Comment

Contact the board directly. The principal can get the assessments but they have to come from the board anyway.

Comment

It all depends how urgent it is to you. If it can wait until mid August, then wait.

If not, try leaving a message on the school's answering service first. Ask whomever gets the message to contact you as you have an urgent informational request.

Often the secretary, principal or vice wanders in to do a little work here or there.

If you absolutely cannot wait four more weeks, call the school board and discuss it with the school's superintendent.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. As an update, a school board trustee was contacted and whom is now assisting the NCP with getting in touch with the superintendant and principal to obtain the relevant documentation.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X