Spousal Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal Support

How does one determine entitlement? More than happy to pay what is required.

Two questions:
    1. Entitled to?
    2. How much?

Lived together for 17 years.
    3 kids, 16, 14, 12
    Shared 50/50

ex has always worked 30-40 hours a week except maternity leave. Various jobs all always by choice.

Current income difference:

Originally 6 years ago:

In 2017 ex switched to a lower paying job, personal preference reasons.

The answer in your case is that it is very unclear.

I am assuming that you have lived together for 17 years but have been married for 6 years? I wasn't sure where that "6" number came from.

On one hand, you guys have lived together for a long time, which presumes some intermingling of financial affairs. On the other hand, the difference in your incomes is not too terrible, and it would appear that she did not take much time off of work. Nonetheless, she did take some time off work, and she did work 30 hour weeks which presumably allowed her to take care of your children at the expense of her income earning potential.

What is she asking for? I would not even assume entitlement on her part, let her establish that first. If she asks for some time limited spousal support, it might be worth paying it. If she asks for some unlimited nonsense, might be worth a trip to court.

Comment

Have you read through the SSAG?
      https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/fl-df/...ag-ldfpae.html

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X