CSI Cyber Last Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSI Cyber Last Night

So I was watching CSI Cyber with my partner for the first time last night and honestly I couldn't help but feel how badly the media distorts the images of men in society.

This episode featured a man who only kidnaps young woman of age 22 with eyes of blue (lyrics from an old song). He is pursued by the team, led by a steely eyed blonde women who is assisted by a fat, bearded, hairy nerd who sits does all his work via computer. In a side plot, the detective goes to visit a friend who is so overcome with grief at the loss of her sister that she has ended up in psych ward, covered in blood, after trying to dig up her own sister's dead body to "take care of her".

Man = sexual predator
    Man = unattractive nerd
    Woman = heroine
    Woman = victim

So while I don't really appreciate these stereotypes, it is really part of the package with detective shows, so I have to accept it to a certain degree.

Then we cut to the commercials.

Recently the government started putting out new ads about stopping sexual harassment and sexual violence when you see it. Over the span of several scenes we repeatedly see men harassing, drugging and raping young women.

The first time we saw the ad my girlfriend turned to me and apologized, letting me know she understands that men are also victims of harassment and violence and that it's not fair for the ad to be completely one sided.

Put all that together in one hour of random TV viewing and I can't help but wonder WHERE THE HELL IS ANYONE SUPPOSED TO GET A POSITIVE IMAGE OF MEN AND MASCULINITY???

I'm aware of the bias in the media and I STILL felt shame for my gender, despite the fact that I have been victimized by women too.

OP...I hear you, and don't expect this to change anytime soon. I mean look at most commercials on TV with men and women, the male is always put down, at the expense of selling some product. If the table is turned, you know the feminists will have a field day

CSI Cyber by the way is half decent with Patricia Hackett (sp), and the singer now grown up with a daughter (small girl) of his own....that went with the name Lil Bow Wow.

This was in the news yesterday...why is it that some women go as far as claiming they have Cancer / they are survivors?

You see more and more of this nowadays....individuals lying about being survivors, only to be ousted as fakes. I say more because there seems to be one related story at least once a month, and more during the awareness month. If it's not for financial gain like in the story below, it's for the sympathy factor from strangers....there were a few cases like this last year in Canada

The downside to this, is that it's taking away from legitimate cancer sufferers and survivors.

An Australian "wellness" blogger who built a successful business on claims she survived terminal cancer has admitted she never had the disease.

"None of it's true", Belle Gibson told Australia's Women's Weekly magazine in an interview.

Ms Gibson chronicled her battle with cancer on a blog, The Whole Pantry, which spawned an app and recipe book

But doubts about her claims surfaced after she failed to deliver a promised $300,000 donation to charity.

Australian health blogger admits faking terminal cancer - BBC News

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/hea...-1227316543644

Another related story

An "out of control" woman who lied about having terminal cancer, losing a baby and suffering domestic violence to make insurance claims has been jailed.

Emma Fisher, 26, of Slater Street in Willenhall, received 11 payouts totalling £8,500 between August 2008 and July 2012, police said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-25672214

Response to this story:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/hea...-1227315846186

Comment

Don't forget the persistent, pervasive image of the bumbling dad that is portrayed in sitcoms.

Oh, and go on Facebook. All of the articles posted by users about parenting feature titles like "Tips for Moms" or "Don't worry mom, you're getting it right".

Dad's aren't parents, apparently.

Comment

Tisdale Residents Say They Are In Disbelief After 5 Dead

women & children = victims

During Your Lunch Hour, Three Women in India Will Be Sexually Assaulted|Jess Tomlin

women = victims

and so on.... I could find as many pro-male/anti-women articles in the news.

Comment

There are many shows on TV which show the societal attitudes of people in the 60s and 70s (Mad Men is one example). Men worked and women stayed home with the kids. Advertising and television generally reflect the times as studios are in the business to make money.

Comment

The problem is media itself, TV is especially guilty of perpetuating stupid stereotypes ... turn the damn thing off lol! Nothing but negative garbage and sensationalism with the 6 o'clock news being the biggest offender.

We are being conditioned to believe that this is normal behavior - consumerism with "sheeple" mentality - anything to sell whatever crap pays for these horrible shows.

Fakebook is another "institution" geared at destroying whatever is left of society - honestly, 5,000 friends and not one single human "real time" contact.

If you think that only men are being portrayed as idiots, rapists or so many other negative stereotypes ? We all are ... Can't stand TV, have you seen the BOGO commercials? it makes women look like brainless creatures hyperventilating over a cute pair of shoes!!! ughhh! don't get me started !!!

Comment

Janibel, we almost never watch TV, about once a month or less, that's why seeing that show and the related ads really hit me.

If I watched that crap every day I'd be so used to it and accept it as normal.

Arabian, it says a lot that you are forced to look as far away as India to find places where women are not treated equal or better than males. Additionally, my post was not about selecting random news articles but the narratives being presented as entertainment.

Comment

All this said, I don't see the feminists or females in general, coming out saying...all this Mommy bias isn't real especially in this day and age, instead they soak it all up and benefit from it walking around and deluding themselves that mommy knows best.

I mean some women can barely take care of their own hygiene let alone that of a kid. Someone mentioned 'mad men', how many other shows on TV counter this with putting men down....lots.

I am not on Farcebook /Twitter or anything else, and don't need my posts to be "liked" by the Jones. Imagine if it had been a male teacher in the cases below

Shelley Dufresne Threesome Sex UpdateSex | The Daily Caller

Teacher Accused Of Sex With Student And Fellow Instructor Takes Plea Deal

Teacher gets prison time for sexual assaults on 15-year-old student

Woman ‘has intercourse with student,’ then gets …

Comment

Good point....Over here in this country, most women that stay at home even with little kids around / when they are at school, surf the web all day long (Facebook), watch soaps and just wait for the cheques to roll in...

Why would they want to go get a 9-5 job for some self esteem. It's always laughable when a person claims "being a parent is a job". No it's not, you don't pay taxes for one, and it's something that you've chosen at the expense of taxpayers.

Originally posted by FightingForFamily View Post
                  Janibel, we almost never watch TV, about once a month or less, that's why seeing that show and the related ads really hit me.

If I watched that crap every day I'd be so used to it and accept it as normal.

Arabian, it says a lot that you are forced to look as far away as India to find places where women are not treated equal or better than males. Additionally, my post was not about selecting random news articles but the narratives being presented as entertainment.

Comment

News is rated and to many it is, indeed, entertainment. Many TV shows (SNL) compile their content from current events.

I only had to click on to the front page of the Huffington Post (Canada) to site an article.

I primarily watch Netflix and that way I don't have to watch commercials.

Comment

I also want to point out that news story does not discuss in any way what led to or caused the murder to take place. This is one of the fundamental issues. Men (short of severe mental illness) do not just go and randomly kill spouses, children and whole families without cause.

However the media rarely or never discloses anything about the cause. Simply stating that man = murderer and women/children = victims. Believe me, whenever I see cases like this, I always go to Canlii and try to find out what happened to the family to lead a parent to something so extreme and horrible.

For example,

They didn't say that she had been systemically alienating him from his friends and family for years, that she had taken and spent all of their savings on herself, drugs or gambling, that two of her three children were actually fathered by other men and he had been living a lie his entire marriage, etc.

The story is ALWAYS a lot more complex.

Nothing excuses murder or violence, but without appropriate context we are ignorant that most domestic violence doesn't occur in a vacuum.

Comment

Yeah I knew this thread would turn into an anti-female one. So predictable.

Carry on female-bashing if it makes you feel righteous, powerful and vindicated.

I believe people of both sexes commit crimes. As I mentioned before, news sensationalism exists to inform, entertain and ultimately to make money.

Oh and BTW people do indeed commit random killings, particularly individuals who are whacked out on drugs. Our prisons are full of these individuals (male and female).

Comment

^ Netflix comprises of old TV shows and movies, nothing new and you are using your bandwidth to stream stuff, on top of the $8 a month for the dumb down version of the US content.

I mostly watch documentaries, and movies that I download to watch in the comfort of my own home..including latest ones.

Comment

Excuse me Arabian, I did not say one thing bad about women, other than to describe that they are equal to men in terms of the capability to cause harm and misery, and that the real world is much more complicated than a 3 paragraph news story will ever illustrate.

Comment

^goody for you. I find the "dumbed down?" Canadian version just fine. I enjoy watching shows from places other than the US and am not averse to subtitles.

Each to their own.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X