Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My ex moved over 3 hours away with our son last year. She moved in with her fiance, a man she had been dating for less than a year. Prior to the move, my son lived in the same area for his entire 8 years of life. The court still allowed the move, however. My advice would be to lawyer up. You need to tackle this before she moves, because once she has, it will be much tougher to get the kids back than it would have been to prevent them from moving in the first place. Good luck!

Comment

Buying a house together after only dating 5 months? Absolute insanity.
      I have to agree. I have a hard time understanding people who do this type of thing right after the children have had the trauma of dealing with all of the changes out of the divorce.

Its normal to have new partners and moving out of the family home is pretty standard...but I'm not sure why judges find it ok for someone to get in a new relationship within a year after a divorce and move across the country with the kids. To me, in the event of a shared parenting arrangement, this should be fairly standard fodder for a change in custody.

I have a new partner, while I'm deeply committed to our relationship...I understand that my parental obligation to my child, which includes not interfering with her access and relationship with her father, supercedes any other wants that I might have. Luckily, I'm with someone who's willing to uproot himself to be near me but if not, unfortunately, kids come first and should in family law.

I just don't understand why this is such a tough and stressful struggle for the parent who's trying to maintain the already determined status quo arrangement.

Comment

example of reply:

Thank you for your consideration of informing me of your wishes to move. Please provide me with minimum 30 days notice of your move in order that I may make arrangements to have the children reside with me full time with generous access to you.

It is in the best interests of the children to remain in the same school and familiar surrondings as they have become accustomed to.

Therefore I respecfully accept your wish to move anywhere you wish however I expect the children will remain in thier famialr surrondings, by living with me.

Kindest Regards,

The Childrens Dad/Mom....
        Last edited by today; 03-14-2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X