This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving because of job

I have gotten a wonderful opportunity to be transfered out of province for a MUCH better job. I currently am receiving SS and CS, I am in a new relationship and have another child. My ex and I have no formal agreement, we have two children together 8 and 6. We are not divorced.......;. so what chance do I have of being able to move..... it would mean a great deal of security for myself and the children great benefits, secure job, better pay, room to grow and prosper. I would not move otherwise....my ex and I have a up and down relationship with the children...... he lives in another city, but is still a wonderful person and does love his children very much.....
    What chance do I have of this happening, anybody have a clue....
    How can I make this easy on everyone, him too, a good way to bring it up and talk about it.
    Thanks

How far away does he live from the kids now and how much time does he have them?

Comment

Sure it may mean more money wise but what about emotional well being for the kids?? If he sees them on a regular basis and they enjoy the timw with him and look forward to it, is it fair to the kids?

If you really want to sway him to your way of thinking, offer to have SS ended. Should not be a problem for you because you said this transfer would mean better pay, etc. Plus you are in a new relationship so you have someone else to help share living expenses.That way the money he is paying to you for SS could be used for his extra travel expenses to see his kids. Just an idea.

Comment

He lives an hour away at the moment.... I spoke with my lawyer and he said it would go through, so now it comes down to the best way of telling him....

Comment

How much time does he spend with them?

Comment

And what about ending the spousal support given the decrease in need?

Comment

I believe IMO that if the ex objects the move you may have an issue, normally the courst prefer not to disturb the childrens lives, therefore if ex decides you may have an issue despite the advice you recieved. As parents we may move any where any time we wish when divorced we "normally" may not simply move our children if contested by the other parent.

I agree with other posts if you circumstances have improved you could certainly use a reduction in SS as the deciding factor to compensate for the extra travel of the other parent, only seems fair one would think. Although I do get the impresson this is not on your agenda.

Comment

Travel cost are not an issue....... And either is SS, it's how I'm going to bring this up and talk to him about it, he sees them every other weekend...I've already worked out longer times frequently throughout the year, for visits.....
                And we have a good relationship, we don't fight, just wanted advice on the best way to bring up the topic.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X