New Spouse Medical Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Spouse Medical Benefits

My ex has been on Ontario Works for 11 years and I have no reason to believe that will change anytime soon. She has certain "benefits" through them (i.e. prescriptions, eye care, dental, etc) that she uses for the kids. We have been split for 8 years, nothing in our court order relates to health benefits.

I have been with my new wife for 4 years, married 2. My wife also has a daughter from a previous relationship. My new wife recently changes jobs and has gotten fairly decent benefits through her employer. She has put my children on the benefits as well as myself and her daughter.

Should I give my ex the benefit information so she can utilize it for the kids if and when Ontario Works doesn't cover them or should I ask that I be present every time it is needed (We have 50/50 custody and both take the kids to drs and other appointments and we can't always both go)

She hasn't directly asked me for it but I am sure it is coming since she knows they are on it. Is there anyways for her to scam the benefits?

She cant submit anything without your new wife getting notified. You could tell her that the kids are covered for additional costs over and above what Ontario Works pays for but it will still need to be provided to you for approval.

Does she not advise you of medical appointments and treatments?

Comment

If your order doesn't say anything then you don't need to do anything. OW should be covering everything.

You shouldn't hold the insurance benefits hostage to your presence at the appointments.

Given your kids are on your wifes benefits then that is not your wifes property anymore. The benefits now rightfully belong to the kids. I know there is no order stating that you must give this to her.

My former apouse is on OW but uses my benefits. I would much rather OW pay then my company but I was asked for it so I would look ridiculous if I said no.

Benefit of kids using your new wifes package is that she'll get notified whenever it is used ao you can monitor things - that's not to say your ex will use the card for everything.

I would just mail it out to her with tracking number and just say your new wife put the kids under her benefits, let her know what it offers and say you wanted her to have a copy in case she ever needs to use it

Alternately you could keep it and use it for when kids are with you. OW should cover most basic things.
      Last edited by trinton; 05-23-2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
        If your order doesn't say anything then you don't need to do anything. OW should be covering everything.

You shouldn't hold the insurance benefits hostage to your presence at the appointments.

Given your kids are on your wifes benefits then that is not your wifes property anymore. The benefits now rightfully belong to the kids. I know there is no order stating that you must give this to her.

My former apouse is on OW but uses my benefits. I would much rather OW pay then my company but I was asked for it so I would look ridiculous if I said no.

Benefit of kids using your new wifes package is that she'll get notified whenever it is used ao you can monitor things - that's not to say your ex will use the card for everything.

I would just mail it out to her with tracking number and just say your new wife put the kids under her benefits, let her know what it offers and say you wanted her to have a copy in case she ever needs to use it

Alternately you could keep it and use it for when kids are with you. OW should cover most basic things.
        I am not holding their benefits hostage, I was asking if she would need it as I have never dealt with Ontario works so I have no idea what they cover. Also, my ex is the type who will try to pretend she is my new wife to get the benefits. I realize that this is fraud and at that point, my wife would have grounds to charge her or atleast to let the insurance company know it wasn't her that used it but that is getting into a place I dont want to go.

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
        She cant submit anything without your new wife getting notified. You could tell her that the kids are covered for additional costs over and above what Ontario Works pays for but it will still need to be provided to you for approval.

Does she not advise you of medical appointments and treatments?
        I did let her know they are covered and what was covered. She does advise me, sometimes and other times I am chasing drs to get appointment information. Sometimes I can't make an appointment and sometimes she can't make an appointment.

Comment

She cant claim benefits herself without the benefit providers information. And most benefit companies have a drug card that you have to give to the drugstore which she wont have. Plus anywhere else she goes she would have to provide her health card. If its a dental appointment she would have to provide details on herself and claiming to be your wife would be difficult as dentists would request previous files on treatment plans.

Stop worrying about that aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by freckles1234 View Post
            I am not holding their benefits hostage, I was asking if she would need it as I have never dealt with Ontario works so I have no idea what they cover. Also, my ex is the type who will try to pretend she is my new wife to get the benefits. I realize that this is fraud and at that point, my wife would have grounds to charge her or atleast to let the insurance company know it wasn't her that used it but that is getting into a place I dont want to go.
            How Ontario Works can help you: Health benefits

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
              She cant claim benefits herself without the benefit providers information. And most benefit companies have a drug card that you have to give to the drugstore which she wont have. Plus anywhere else she goes she would have to provide her health card. If its a dental appointment she would have to provide details on herself and claiming to be your wife would be difficult as dentists would request previous files on treatment plans.

Stop worrying about that aspect.
              There are smooth service providers. For example, a friend of mine was in a similar situation but he had 2 kids. Both on new wifes benefits. His ex went to the eye dr and got glasses and had them bill the 2 kids benefits. A year later one of the kids needed glasses and that is when he found out that the benefit had been used. She then tried to demand he pay his 90% of the expense... but thats another story.

Thanks! That was extremely helpful. It seems the kids are pretty well covered from Ontario Works.

Comment

Then your new wife needs to contact her benefits provider and tell them to not allow any submissions without her signature and approval. I cant even call and get details on MY submissions to my partners benefits without his permission. They changed all the privacy laws on these items. You can also be proactive and log in to the account on a weekly basis to make sure nothing is out of whack.

Comment

I added my step children to my benefits because their mother claimed she (a nurse) didn't have any benefits through her job. The girls never made a claim once.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X