This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting The Cost Of Divorce

Whatever happened to the $500 Divorce? Well, I can tell you that as our lives grow more complex, so do our divorces. As divorces become more and more complex, they become more and more expensive. So, is there anything we can do to save on legal expenses as we proceed through the minefield of divorce? The answer is a resounding, yes. The key is to know how many issues are out there and how we can resolve them to our satisfaction with the least amount of conflict.

We need to prepare for our divorces at least as much as we planned our weddings. That's right, just as you planned your gown, cake, caterer, church and honeymoon, you need to make a roadmap for your divorce. If you don't you will get lost and it will cost you to find your way home. The purpose of this article is to let you in on all the possible ways to pay for a lawyer. Just knowing these different formats will help you decide which way to go.

Flat Fees:
    The first, and best in my opinion, is to pay your lawyer a flat fee for handling your divorce from start to finish. This method is the only way to guarantee how much you will pay your lawyer. The key of course is setting the amount of the flat fee.

I suggest that for every one of the following contested issues, that you be willing to pay a $1000 flat fee: Child Custody, Child Support, Maintenance, Division of Property, and Division of a Retirement Account. Therefore, if you will not be able to agree with your spouse on all five (5) issues, a good flat fee would be $5000; if you just have one contested issue, $1000. If you are lucky enough to have no contested issues, $1000 or less is appropriate.

Hourly Fees:
    The second, and by far more complicated is paying a lawyer by the amount of time he/she spends on your case. This is by far the most utilized arrangement because it is often uncertain how much time it will take to see a divorce case to resolution.

* I would first try to negotiate a flat fee as described above, but if that is not possible, try to negotiate the lowest hourly rate possible. Don't be afraid to haggle. Let the lawyer know that you have shopped around and have found lower hourly rates.
    * Second, negotiate a lower retainer.
    * Third, examine each and every bill you receive closely. Call the lawyer with any discrepancy that you find.
    * Fourth, insist that any major work be first met with your approval.

These distinctions should give you some leg up when it comes to a final tally of your bill.
    The Secret To Saving Legal Fees, written by Craig G. Kallen III, shares with the reader helpful hints that can make a big difference on both the outcome and expense of divorce litigation. The book was written for the benefit of the client using the insight of a lawyer who has practiced at the trial court level for over a decade.

Controlling the cost of a divorce is important, especially when you are faced with living on one income. Instead of taking your spouse to court merely for the sake of revenge, it is better to work out as many issues as possible. If you can work out all the issues, you can avoid a costly contested divorce.

SigRent, that's certainly a thought-provoking post. I've prepared a bit of a response here:
    http://www.ottawadivorce.com/blog/20...ce-legal-fees/
    although I think a whole chapter of a book could be written on the subject.
    Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Counseling

I'm trying to cut the cost of my divorce with marriage counseling. We are trying to negotiate everything ahead of time. The counselor is the mediator for the more sensitive issues that are difficult to get past.

Comment

Originally posted by abigail
        I'm trying to cut the cost of my divorce with marriage counseling. We are trying to negotiate everything ahead of time. The counselor is the mediator for the more sensitive issues that are difficult to get past.
        Yes, the cheapest way to resolve things is to try to negotiate as much as possible without lawyers. The lawyers are there to make sure you understand your legal situation, for more complex situations, and for when negotiations break down.
        Ottawa Divorce

Comment

The cost of divorce these days is huge, just huge.
          Especially as mentioned if you do EVERYTHING with lawyers.

People rely on lawyers too much, there really are alot of things you can do yourself rather than pay someone too much money to do.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X