X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex is Military

Hello, all!!
    Just a couple of quick questions that perhaps someone out there could provide some input or direction.
    My ex is military. We have been separated for 3+ years. I have custody of our 2 young children and he sees them alternate weekends/holidays when his hectic work schedule can allow it. We have an excellent relationship, the kids have a tight bond with their dad, and I hate to rock the boat, if you know what I mean, but......... I'm just barely making it financially. I work full time, but only make $25k/year. Child support of $700/month is faithfully paid. He pays 2/3 of childcare/extra curricular actitivies. But I live pay cheque to pay cheque...barely.
    When he goes on tour he makes an extra $30k approx. over and above his regular pay ($50k). And that extra UN/NATO pay is tax free and is not on his tax return. He also makes another $500/month tax free from Veterans Affairs for a disability pension.
    Can that extra pay that he makes be included in his gross annual income when calculating child support? How do I get proof in income from him as that money does not show on his tax return?
    He is getting ready to deploy to Afghanistan for a 2nd tour this summer, but I'm undecided if I want to go ahead and see if I can receive more childsupport for fear of upsetting the "balance".
    Thanx!!!

stillstrong,

I did reply to this yesterday, but there is a "gliche" with the posting and some posts are not showing up or posting multiple posts.

The courts do have the jurisdiction and mandate to input an income to a party for child support calculation purposes.

In your situation, it is somewhat difficult to determine what the payor's actual income is being that its not reported on the respective ITAX return due to its tax free status. I further add these "under the table bonus's" are paid in US dollars. I have some limited knowledge on this; I have a cousin who is based out of Trenton, who is going to Afganistan for a tour of duty. She did mention to me a few weeks ago what she was going to receive something like $1300 US dollars per month danger pay. (9600) for the tour in addition to the regular wages.

I honestly feel that some income should be inputed as it is employment income. Question is how much to input and what frequency.

The income may not be reported on one's income tax, but you can bet that somewhere the military has tracked the transfer of the money via payroll deposits. A good way to find out is to request banking records. It's definitely paid by cheque or automatic deposit. There would be a paper trail somewhere.

One thing to keep in mind is "tours of duties" are not consistent. One never knows when they are going to be sent away. It is similar to trying to predict future overtime hours. Generally child support is calculated from past 3 years income, not future years income.

As far as the VA pension income, this amount should definitely be included in payors income for child support calculations. The income is consistent and fixed.

LV

Comment

I don't agree with the nickel and dime approach to these support calculations. In the above mentioned examples I see two separate reasons why the income should not be considered for support purposes. In the first case, the payor has chosen to go to a high risk theatre of operations to carry out a mission mandated by the Government. Why should anyone, including the children, benefit from the personal risks that this individual is taking - other than that individual? The purpose of the tax-free nature of the income is to reward the individual for the personal sacrifices he/she is making. To sit here, safely in Canada and argue in the comfort of your low-risk home is absurd.

In the second case, the individual is receiving a medical pension for a chronic injury to himself as a result of his service to his country. As such, the individual has lost or restricted use of his body as a result of his job. This loss is his own and he has to live with it. The Government has attempted to compensate him in the only way they can - monetarily. How then, do the children (and hence child support payments to mom) have a right to any portion of that remuneration for his loss? They don't!

How would an individual with any true character or morality consider those sorts of money in support payment calculations?

I truly find it petty and selfish.

If I found out that one of my parents had attempted to base support payments on such income, I would have been very disappointed.

It seems that sometimes we forget to take a step back and consider the morality of what we are doing in these nasty divorce situations.

We all ought to give our heads a shake sometimes and be quite thankful for what we have instead of stressing about what we think we deserve.

It's really about what the kids deserve. Above all, they deserve two loving parents who spend more time smiling than they spend worrying about their perceived entitlements.

Comment

Originally posted by DadofTwoGirls
        It's really about what the kids deserve. Above all, they deserve two loving parents who spend more time smiling than they spend worrying about their perceived entitlements.
        I think the children deserve each parent contributing to their financial needs based on their "true" income. Stillstrong, you seem to have a good relationship with your ex, perhaps you could work this out between the two of you or through mediation.

Comment

So then is it Line 150 based or not? Only if that's more advantageous to the payee and then some other formula if that's more advantageous?

Comment

If the parents were still together, the children would benefit through family income---why should it be different b/c they're divorced. The father didn't divorce the children.

Comment

In the case or the Afghanistan deployment, the effect is on the taxable income and not Line 150. It is not "extra pay", it is a reduction in taxes.

The children certainly do benefit. The father has more disposable income to spend on his children.

It is the same for the disability pension. The father would have more money for the children. At the other home, the mother does not have the disability for which the father is being compensated. She also did not assume the personal risk of the deployment. So, why should she be benefit?

The rules cannot be arbitrarily applied based on maximizing the benefit to the payee.

Comment

oh boy... here we go...

GNTT... I hear that statement all the time... along with "well, child support is for the children".... and multiple variations thereof. Or.. "how dare you buy a car when your children are eating gruel and working the coal mines"... but I digress.

You cannot begin to equate what two people do together vs what two people do apart. People always rationalize this and the laws (re)enforce the concept; even though you are divorced, you shall act as one body... um, well, when it is convienent, and especially when it involves money from A->B. Imputing income and going after non-reoccurring income is all the rage now.

Also, you can get into endless debates regarding whatif's involving married vs divorced couples: hmmm.. well, if they were together, maybe she would work. If they were together, maybe he wouldn't go dangerous missions. And on and on. I really dislike those kinds of arguments as it is that kind of rationalization is what gums up the entire SYSTEM - from top to bottom.

If the father makes more money, let him DECIDE to spend it on however he wants. And if he wants to buy something for the kids, all the better. What is going to happen is basically the guy will give up and go, hey its not worth it anymore, screw it. No more missions. hmm.. maybe I'll retire.

To answer the original question, why not ask your ex for some help. Maybe point out specific purchases (e.g. a new bike). Or suggest an amount per month. Take a soft approach instead of the hammer. You might also have trouble with non re-occurring income, etc. and you could be in court a long time. Avoid court when you can.

BTW, her net income right now is more than his.

Comment

D D you tend to bend and twist posts and situations to accommodate your thinking. you hear 'the money is for the kids' and other versions of.. all the time b/c it is, at least it should be. A divorced family is not one in body, as you have said, a divorced family is one financially--especially when there are children involved.
                  You suggested that "stillstrong" ask ex to chip in for certain items(example you gave was bike).That's purely hypocritical on your part. Several weeks ago there were posts about child support and i said i ask my ex to chip in for certain activities for the kids, whether he wanted to or not was his choice. I named the numerous activities and exposure to various aspects of life that my kids have had the pleasure of experiencing. I simply mentioned that i've asked my ex to chip in and you were appauled at that, saying that shoudl be covered by child support. I then posted again and mentioned a few things i've had my children involved with and where they're been and you had no response b/c you knew child support would not cover all those experiences and activities, pay half for food, clothing etc. you actually did answer....by evading the question.
                  The very thing you condemned me for is the very thing you're suggesting to stillstrong. same player;different stages.

Comment

I would just like to comment that the standard financial form - issued by the Ont courts form 13 is very clear in what is to be included in ones income. As listed in PART I for the preceding 12 months, that being pensions, overtime and other bonus's. Moreover this is a space for trusts ie: estate gifts and "Other income"

http://www.ontariocourtforms.on.ca/e...mily/index.jsp

lv

Comment

GKTT, How did this thread turn into an issue about you?

LV, Step 1 of the instructions of Form 13 says:

You do not need to complete this form if your only claim for support is for child support in the table amount specified under the Child Support Guidelines and you are not making or responding to a claim described in paragraph 3 below.

Paragraph 3 talks about property.

I though the only three items required for disclosure, as described in the Guidelines are:

(a) a copy of every personal income tax return filed by the spouse for each of the three most recent taxation years;
                      (b) a copy of every notice of assessment and reassessment issued to the spouse for each of the three most recent taxation years;
                      (c) where the spouse is an employee, the most recent statement of earnings indicating the total earnings paid in the year to date, including overtime or, where such a statement is not provided by the employer, a letter from the spouse’s employer setting out that information including the spouse’s rate of annual salary or remuneration;

Comment

If you carefully read my post you would possibly have grasped the entire concept, not just a portion you chose to comprehend.
                        It is relevant to the fact that a suggestion that is now given by decent dad was the very issue he condemned me for on a different thread. contradictory...i think so. I have to wonder if some people post to vent their anger and cause havoc. --yours for example--was attack mode and if you viewed posts with an open mind you may learn something.
                        Keep things decent and mature; we're supposedly all here, regardless of gender, age etc. for basically the same reason--to get support and information.

Comment

That comment in the form is directed for a person applying for just child support, not the payor.

Before a court would order child support they would insist that the payor serve and file a sworn financial such as form 13 unless the parties were in agreement that no financial statements are required.

If you look at

Family Law Act

Ontario REGULATION 391/97

Amended to O. Reg. 102/06

CHILD SUPPORT GUIDELINES

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/R...h/970391_e.htm

Calculation of annual income

16. Subject to sections 17 to 20, a parent’s or spouse’s annual income is determined using the sources of income set out under the heading “Total income” in the T1 General form issued by the Canada Revenue Agency and is adjusted in accordance with Schedule III. O. Reg. 446/01, s. 4; O. Reg. 102/06, s. 2.

Pattern of income

17. (1) If the court is of the opinion that the determination of a parent’s or spouse’s annual income under section 16 would not be the fairest determination of that income, the court may have regard to the parent’s or spouse’s income over the last three years and determine an amount that is fair and reasonable in light of any pattern of income, fluctuation in income or receipt of a non-recurring amount during those years. O. Reg. 446/01, s. 5.

Non-recurring losses

(2) Where a parent or spouse has incurred a non-recurring capital or business investment loss, the court may, if it is of the opinion that the determination of the parent’s or spouse’s annual income under section 16 would not provide the fairest determination of the annual income, choose not to apply sections 6 and 7 of Schedule III, and adjust the amount of the loss, including related expenses and carrying charges and interest expenses, to arrive at such amount as the court considers appropriate. O. Reg. 391/97, s. 17 (2).

Shareholder, director or officer

18. (1) Where a parent or spouse is a shareholder, director or officer of a corporation and the court is of the opinion that the amount of the parent’s or spouse’s annual income as determined under section 16 does not fairly reflect all the money available to the parent or spouse for the payment of child support, the court may consider the situations described in section 17 and determine the parent’s or spouse’s annual income to include,

(a) all or part of the pre-tax income of the corporation, and of any corporation that is related to that corporation, for the most recent taxation year; or

(b) an amount commensurate with the services that the parent or spouse provides to the corporation, provided that the amount does not exceed the corporation’s pre-tax income. O. Reg. 391/97, s. 18 (1).

Adjustment to corporation’s pre-tax income

(2) In determining the pre-tax income of a corporation for the purposes of subsection (1), all amounts paid by the corporation as salaries, wages or management fees, or other payments or benefits, to or on behalf of persons with whom the corporation does not deal at arm’s length must be added to the pre-tax income, unless the parent or spouse establishes that the payments were reasonable in the circumstances. O. Reg. 391/97, s. 18 (2).

Imputing income

19. (1) The court may impute such amount of income to a parent or spouse as it considers appropriate in the circumstances, which circumstances include,
                          (a) the parent or spouse is intentionally under-employed or unemployed, other than where the under-employment or unemployment is required by the needs of any child or by the reasonable educational or health needs of the parent or spouse;

(b) the parent or spouse is exempt from paying federal or provincial income tax;

(c) the parent or spouse lives in a country that has effective rates of income tax that are significantly lower than those in Canada;

(d) it appears that income has been diverted which would affect the level of child support to be determined under these guidelines;

(e) the parent’s or spouse’s property is not reasonably utilized to generate income;

(f) the parent or spouse has failed to provide income information when under a legal obligation to do so;

(g) the parent or spouse unreasonably deducts expenses from income;

(h) the parent or spouse derives a significant portion of income from dividends, capital gains or other sources that are taxed at a lower rate than employment or business income or that are exempt from tax; and

(i) the parent or spouse is a beneficiary under a trust and is or will be in receipt of income or other benefits from the trust. O. Reg. 391/97, s. 19 (1); O. Reg. 446/01, s. 6.

Reasonableness of expenses

(2) For the purpose of clause (1) (g), the reasonableness of an expense deduction is not solely governed by whether the deduction is permitted under the Income Tax Act (Canada). O. Reg. 391/97, s. 19 (2).

Income Information

Obligation of applicant

21. (1) A parent or spouse who is applying for an order for the support of a child and whose income information is necessary to determine the amount of the order must include with the application,

(a) a copy of every personal income tax return filed by the parent or spouse for each of the three most recent taxation years;

(b) a copy of every notice of assessment and reassessment issued to the parent or spouse for each of the three most recent taxation years;

(c) where the parent or spouse is an employee, the most recent statement of earnings indicating the total earnings paid in the year to date, including overtime, or, where such a statement is not provided by the employer, a letter from the parent’s or spouse’s employer setting out that information including the parent’s or spouse’s rate of annual salary or remuneration;

(d) where the parent or spouse is self-employed, for the three most recent taxation years,

(i) the financial statements of the parent’s or spouse’s business or professional practice, other than a partnership, and

(ii) a statement showing a breakdown of all salaries, wages, management fees or other payments or benefits paid to, or on behalf of, persons or corporations with whom the parent or spouse does not deal at arm’s length;

(e) where the parent or spouse is a partner in a partnership, confirmation of the parent’s or spouse’s income and draw from, and capital in, the partnership for its three most recent taxation years;

(f) where the parent or spouse controls a corporation, for its three most recent taxation years,

(i) the financial statements of the corporation and its subsidiaries, and

(ii) a statement showing a breakdown of all salaries, wages, management fees or other payments or benefits paid to, or on behalf of, persons or corporations with whom the corporation, and every related corporation, does not deal at arm’s length;

(g) where the parent or spouse is a beneficiary under a trust, a copy of the trust settlement agreement and copies of the trust’s three most recent financial statements; and

(h) in addition to any information that must be included under clauses (c) to (g), where the parent or spouse receives income from employment insurance, social assistance, a pension, workers compensation, disability payments or any other source, the most recent statement of income indicating the total amount of income from the applicable source during the current year or, if such a statement is not provided, a letter from the appropriate authority stating the required information. O. Reg. 391/97, s. 21 (1); O. Reg. 446/01, s. 7.

continued

Comment

continued from previous post

In a child support issue before the courts, its mandatory that the respondent to the claim to serve and file a financial statement form 13.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/R.../990114a_e.htm

RULE 13: FINANCIAL STATEMENTS

FINANCIAL STATEMENT WITH APPLICATION, ANSWER OR MOTION

13. (1) If an application, answer or notice of motion contains a claim for support, a property claim, or a claim for exclusive possession of the matrimonial home and its contents,

(a) the party making the claim shall serve and file a financial statement (Form 13 or 13.1) with the document that contains the claim; and

(b) the party against whom the claim is made shall serve and file a financial statement within the time for serving and filing an answer, reply or affidavit in response to the motion, whether the party is serving an answer, reply or affidavit in response to the motion or not. O. Reg. 92/03, s. 1 (1).

FORM 13 FOR SUPPORT CLAIM WITHOUT PROPERTY CLAIM

(1.1) If the application, answer or notice of motion contains a claim for support but does not contain a property claim or a claim for exclusive possession of the matrimonial home and its contents, the financial statement used by the parties under these rules shall be in Form 13. O. Reg. 92/03, s. 1 (1).

FORM 13.1 FOR PROPERTY CLAIM WITH OR WITHOUT SUPPORT CLAIM

(1.2) If the application, answer or notice of motion contains a property claim or a claim for exclusive possession of the matrimonial home and its contents, the financial statement used by the parties under these rules shall be in Form 13.1, whether a claim for support is also included or not. O. Reg. 92/03, s. 1 (1).

EXCEPTION, CERTAIN SUPPORT CLAIMS

(1.3) If the only claim for support contained in the application, answer or notice of motion is a claim for child support in the amount specified in the table of the applicable child support guidelines, the party making the claim is not required to file a financial statement, unless the application, answer or notice of motion also contains a property claim or a claim for exclusive possession of the matrimonial home and its contents. O. Reg. 92/03, s. 1 (1).

(1.4) Revoked: O. Reg. 76/06, s. 5 (1).

CLAIM FOR PAYMENT ORDER UNDER CFSA

(2) If an application, answer or notice of motion contains a claim for a payment order under section 60 of the Child and Family Services Act, clause (1) (a) does not apply to the children’s aid society but clause (1) (b) applies to the party against whom the claim is made. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 13 (2); O. Reg. 92/03, s. 1 (2).

FINANCIAL STATEMENTS IN CUSTODY and access CASES

(3) If an application, answer or notice of motion contains a claim for custody of or access to a child and this rule does not otherwise require the parties to serve and file financial statements, the court may order each party to serve and file a financial statement in Form 13 within the time decided by the court. O. Reg. 92/03, s. 1 (3).

FINANCIAL STATEMENT WITH MOTION TO CHANGE SUPPORT

(4) The following requirements apply if a motion contains a claim for a change in a support order or agreement:

1. The party making the motion shall serve and file a financial statement (Form 13 or 13.1) with the notice of motion.

2. The party against whom the claim is made shall serve and file a financial statement as soon as possible after being served with the notice of motion, but in any event no later than two days before the motion date. Any affidavit in response to the motion shall be served and filed at the same time as the financial statement. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 13 (4); O. Reg. 76/06, s. 5 (2).

NO FINANCIAL STATEMENT FROM ASSIGNEE

(5) The assignee of a support order is not required to serve and file a financial statement under subrule (4). O. Reg. 114/99, r. 13 (5).

financial statement with motion to refrain

(5.1) A payor who makes a motion to require the Director of the Family Responsibility Office to refrain from suspending the payor’s driver’s licence shall, in accordance with subsection 35 (7) of the Family Responsibility and Support Arrears Enforcement Act, 1996, serve and file with the notice of motion,

(a) a financial statement (Form 13 or 13.1) or a financial statement incorporated as Form 4 in Ontario Regulation 167/97 (General) made under that Act; and

(b) the proof of income specified in section 15 of the regulation referred to in clause (a). O. Reg. 76/06, s. 5 (3).

FULL DISCLOSURE IN FINANCIAL STATEMENT

(6) A party who serves and files a financial statement shall,

(a) make full and frank disclosure of the party’s financial situation;

(b) attach any documents to prove the party’s income that the financial statement requires;

(c) follow the instructions set out in the form; and

(d) fully complete all portions of the statement. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 13 (6).

continued

Comment

continued from previous

NOTICES OF ASSESSMENT REQUIRED

(7) The clerk shall not accept a party’s financial statement for filing unless,

(a) copies of the party’s notices of assessment for the three previous taxation years are attached as the form requires;

(b) the financial statement contains the party’s signed direction to the Canada Revenue Agency (Form 13A) for disclosure of the party’s income and deduction printouts; or

(c) the financial statement contains a sworn statement that the party is not required to file an income tax return because of the Indian Act (Canada). O. Reg. 76/06, s. 5 (4).

exception

(7.0.1) Subrule (7) does not apply to a financial statement filed under subrule (5.1). O. Reg. 76/06, s. 5 (4).

income tax returns

(7.1) Except in the case of a filing under subrule (5.1), income tax returns submitted in accordance with these rules are not required to be filed in the continuing record unless the court orders otherwise. O. Reg. 76/06, s. 5 (4).

NO FINANCIAL STATEMENT BY CONSENT — SPOUSAL SUPPORT IN DIVORCE

(8) Parties to a claim for spousal support under the Divorce Act (Canada) do not need to serve and file financial statements if they file a consent,

(a) agreeing not to serve and file financial statements; or

(b) agreeing to a specified amount of support, or to no support. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 13 (8).

NO FINANCIAL STATEMENT BY CONSENT — CHANGE IN SUPPORT

(9) Parties to a consent motion for a change in support do not need to serve and file financial statements if they file a consent agreeing not to serve and file them. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 13 (9).

DOCUMENTS NOT TO BE FILED WITHOUT FINANCIAL STATEMENT

(10) The clerk shall not accept an application, answer, reply, notice of motion or affidavit in response for filing without a financial statement if these rules require the document to be filed with a financial statement. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 13 (10).

ADDITIONAL FINANCIAL INFORMATION

(11) If a party believes that another party’s financial statement does not contain enough information for a full understanding of the other party’s financial circumstances,

(a) the party shall ask the other party to give the necessary additional information; and

(b) if the other party does not give it within seven days, the court may, on motion, order the other party to give the information or to serve and file a new financial statement. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 13 (11).
                              UPDATING FINANCIAL STATEMENT

(12) Before any case conference, motion, settlement conference or trial, each party shall update the information in any financial statement that is more than 30 days old by serving and filing,

(a) a new financial statement; or

(b) an affidavit saying that the information in the last statement has not changed and is still true. O. Reg. 202/01, s. 3 (2).

MINOR CHANGES

(12.1) If there have been minor changes but no major changes to the information in a party’s past statement, the party may serve and file, instead of a new financial statement, an affidavit with details of the changes. O. Reg. 202/01, s. 3 (2).

TIME FOR UPDATING

(12.2) The material described in subrules (12) and (12.1) shall be served and filed as follows:

1. For a case conference or settlement conference requested by a party, the requesting party shall serve and file at least seven days before the conference date and the other party shall serve and file at least four days before that date.

2. For a case conference or settlement conference that is not requested by a party, the applicant shall serve and file at least seven days before the conference date and the respondent shall serve and file at least four days before that date.

3. For a motion, the party making the motion shall serve and file at least seven days before the motion date and the other party shall serve and file at least four days before that date.

4. For a trial, the applicant shall serve and file at least seven days before the trial date and the respondent shall serve and file at least four days before that date. O. Reg. 202/01, s. 3 (2).

QUESTIONING ON FINANCIAL STATEMENT

(13) A party may be questioned under rule 20 on a financial statement provided under this rule, but only after a request for information has been made under clause (11) (a). O. Reg. 114/99, r. 13 (13).

NET FAMILY PROPERTY STATEMENT

(14) Each party to a property claim under Part I of the Family Law Act shall serve and file a net family property statement (Form 13B) or, if the party has already served a net family property statement, an affidavit saying that the information in that statement has not changed and is still true,

(a) not less than seven days before a settlement conference; and

(b) not more than 30 days and not less than seven days before a trial. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 13 (14).

CORRECTING AND UPDATING STATEMENT OR ANSWER

(15) As soon as a party discovers that information in the party’s financial statement or net family property statement or in a response the party gave under this rule is incorrect or incomplete, or that there has been a material change in the information provided, the party shall immediately serve on every other party to the claim and file the correct information or a new statement containing the correct information, together with any documents substantiating it. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 13 (15).

ORDER TO FILE STATEMENT

(16) If a party has not served and filed a financial statement or net family property statement or information as required by this rule or an Act, the court may, on motion without notice, order the party to serve and file the document or information and, if it makes that order, shall also order the party to pay costs. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 13 (16).

FAILURE TO OBEY ORDER TO FILE STATEMENT OR GIVE INFORMATION

(17) If a party does not obey an order to serve and file a financial statement or net family property statement or to give information as this rule requires, the court may,

(a) dismiss the party’s case;

(b) strike out any document filed by the party;

(c) make a contempt order against the party;

(d) order that any information that should have appeared on the statement may not be used by the party at the motion or trial;

(e) make any other appropriate order. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 13 (17).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X