Defeating an unfair and biased OCL report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paco View Post
    Dinkyface, yes there is a precedent, in 2011 in Hamilton I believe, it was {name removed by request} that father's name.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk
    This is WorkingDad. An extreme case. There is a very recent trial judgement giving him sole custody and supervised access to her, and she's not permitted to feed their son or change his clothing.
    Last edited by blinkandimgone; 02-28-2014, 01:49 AM. Reason: by request

Comment

Sample letter to OCL assessor requesting full disclosure.
      Note: Only send this after the report has been filed in court.
      Things can change between the disclosure meeting (where the assessor states her recommendations and when the report is filed. Also thing that occur at the disclosure meeting can show up in the report.

Sample letters:
      Attn: Provincial Manager of Clinical Services
      14th Floor
      393 University Avenue
      Toronto, On
      M5GIW9

CC: Regional Manage
      CC: Assessor

Re: Case Description (party 1 last name v. party 2 last name)
      Court File Number: XXXXXX
      OCL File Number: XXXXX.YYYY

I am writing to respectfully request a copy of Assessor Name CV as well the start date of when the assessor started conducting OCL assessments.

A copy of all source material, and complete personal notes from all interviews, observations, and telephone calls regarding this assessment as well as questions that were asked and things that were said. This would also include all case notes and records from all third party individuals such as the police and the CAS, and doctors and schools.

I am hear by informing the assessor and the OCL that I am disputing the OCL report.

Thank you.

I add the request for the start date as my OCL had never conducted an OCL assessment before mine. Something I suspected and later confirmed.

Again this is a sample letter, refine it for your individual case.

Comment

Another good wording to end the letter with is

I am requesting this information be provided to me as soon as possible, I require this information to understand and ascertain how the recommendations came about. Once again I am disputing the OCL report.

Comment

Excellent, but from my understanding disputing the report has to be done within 30 days when the report has been filled in court, so in my case it's more than 5 months.

Comment

Correct, but if you tell them you are disputing it then they may allow a dispute to be put in, in my case I told them I was disputing, wrote my dispute and decided not to send it to them. I instead told them that the report needed to be tested at trial. I kept my cards close to me until trial.

But in order to prepare for trial you need to understand all the information the OCL had when they made the recommendations.

I would also search Canlii and see if the assessor has been referenced in any other cases.

Comment

Thanks a lot, as soon I finish my case conference brief documents I will fill that letter to OCL and i'll send it to them, so my ex is hurrying up now at case conf, she's asking the judge for a custody order to be made based on OCL recommendations, what's your advise, I need cross-examination of all witnesses.

Comment

Remember the judge can't order custody or access at a case conference. And if they try, simply state that for the record you feel custody and access are issues to be dealt with at trial. That the evidence needs to be tested.

Comment

Excellent, I didn't know that, God bless you for this info...thank you, I feel kind of relaxed now knowing that I still have some time to prepare for the big battle. Now, my ex's counsel is looking to get settlement conf and trial together, is this something good or bad?

Comment

just moves up the schedule.
                    have researched how to prepare for trial?
                    who is the applicant?

Comment

I'm the applicant and I have no ideea how to prepare the trial, I let my former lawyer go last November after I found that she's at the 2nd personal divorce and simply didn't want to get more involved with my custody battle,and also she is $300/hr "experienced" lawyer

Comment

Ok, so you need to get a full copy of all the court papers and affidavits that have been served by now. Perhaps contact the old lawyer and ask for a full copy if nothing much has happened since nov it might be ok.
                        If not then go to the court house and ask for a complete copy of the continuing record minus anything you already have.

Check the table of contents for your case.

Make sure you have everything. Don't worry about old case conference briefs, but you also need a copy of all orders thus far.

Start reading the act.
                        Divorce Act (Section 16(10) Maximum contact)
                        Courts of Justice Act - Family Law Rules
                        Children's Law Reform Act (Section 24)
                        Family Law Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. F.3

And for good measure (Rules of Civil Procedure) Courts of Justice Act - R.R.O. 1990, Reg

The last one is for more complex issues and deals with more than family courts.

Although I have provided references to important sections you should read the acts in full.

Once you have continuing record complete, then you need to start preparing the trial record.
                        See Family Law rules Section 23 (trial record)

You have a lot of reading to do and a lot of preparing to do. Preparing for trial is something anyone can do with the right conviction. The right conviction is to focus on the children and not on the ex.

You need to move on with the idea that she planned this, that she's out to take everything from you, etc. etc. etc. So what that she took the children to shelter. So what if she continues to make false allegations.

What you should focus on is I am involved, have been involved, I want to continue to be involved. I am a good parent. The children need a relationship with both parents. I respect the other parents way of parenting. I have my own way of parenting. We need a court order that allows the children to have two homes.
                        Focus on the fact that your case is about including the other parent and the other parents case is about excluding you.

Comment

As you are the application at each and every case conference you should be speaking first, if the other side tries to drive the agenda stand up and remind them that you are the applicant. If the judge tells you not to speak and speaks to the lawyer, respectfully ask the judge "for the record, I am the applicant, and as such I am the moving party at this case conference, as such may I speak first.

Comment

I have all the court copies from my former lawyer, I asked before letting her go, so my first case conf should be something formal right? It's next month, in about two weeks.
                            Oh, one thing I want to ask, is it worth it to fill a complaint against my ex's counsel through Law Society of upper Canada for misconduct by advising her client to take children away from me considering that I was willing to meet with her and my ex to put a separation agreement in place, so I consider that an abuse from a family lawyer, what you think?

Comment

Thats up to you to decide. How many battles do you want to fight at the same time. Focus on the case before you, don't stray into the weeds.

When this is done you can then decide if it's worth it to file a complaint. Her bad advice might actually help your case.

Comment

Thanks a lot, God bless you, I'll follow your instructions to prepare for trial and filling that letter to OCL, you gave me some relief by the info you just provided. Thank you..and keep in touch, this forum is amazing.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X