This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Legal Consultations

I have a question. I'm not "lawyer shopping" just to be clear. My Family Court Matter (for the time being, is closed).

When one goes to see a lawyer for the FIRST time - it's simply a consultation. Is that meeting strictly confidential? IE: would the lawyer be able to discuss what took place in that meeting with other lawyers, as far as "specifics" go? I can see perhaps them saying (if it were noteworthy) "I met with a person today that told me about situation xyz."

But: what if there were names mentioned (ie; other lawyers etc) in that meeting - would the lawyer who provided the consultation be permitted (legally) to discuss that with a third party? I know there's confidentiality rules when a lawyer is RETAINED - but what about in the scenario above?

Thanks!

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
    I have a question. I'm not "lawyer shopping" just to be clear. My Family Court Matter (for the time being, is closed).

When one goes to see a lawyer for the FIRST time - it's simply a consultation. Is that meeting strictly confidential? IE: would the lawyer be able to discuss what took place in that meeting with other lawyers, as far as "specifics" go? I can see perhaps them saying (if it were noteworthy) "I met with a person today that told me about situation xyz."

But: what if there were names mentioned (ie; other lawyers etc) in that meeting - would the lawyer who provided the consultation be permitted (legally) to discuss that with a third party? I know there's confidentiality rules when a lawyer is RETAINED - but what about in the scenario above?

Thanks!
    They shouldn't and can't. In fact, one of the tactics that high conflict litigants do is they go around meeting with all the lawyers to try and stop the other parent from being able to retain a solicitor. This is usually done in a small town and wouldn't work in a large metro.

Comment

Thx - saw that tactic employed in the Soprano's. Tony went to every lawyer in town to prevent his wife from getting a good lawyer anywhere in NY or Jersey!

Good to know. My sitch has a few players out in the field and I worry sometimes that the fishbowl is verrry small.

Just want to be cautious. Loose lips sink ships!

Comment

I have an appt to meet w/a lawyer next week who specializes in another area of Law. Who says you can't strike a little break on a consult fee? Although not "free" I managed to get him to agree to almost half his rate (for one hour).

I pretty much had to run a few names by him first, (on the phone) as I wanted to make sure there was no conflict of interest at all. Turns out, he knew of, (or knew) most of the persons I mentioned - but there didn't appear to be any conflict. Quite the contrary. Kind of embarrassing for me to have to do that, but better to know in advance. It was very relevant to my matter that I do so.

Anyway, I'm glad he agreed to the hour at a reduced rate. I'm hopeful that I will get some much needed, good info and direction...

Comment

At the start of the meeting slide him a loonie. Seriously. I've heard of other people doing this - particularly when they go for the now-defunct "free 1/2 hr consult." At the very least it will be an ice-breaker!!!

Best of luck!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X