Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adult children: what is school full time?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult children: what is school full time?

Can someone clarify what is considered full time school? My youngest (18) told me he is taking 3 courses returning back to high school after already graduating. Im assuming he is doing a half semester b/c he said he need a biology course. I'm not sure if he's doing 5 days either.
    The other issue is I've contributed to my oldest sons college tuition. I found out I have a benefit for $1500 per year per kid to go to their tuition. My ex caught wind only because I submitted the forms to my lawyer for her to fill out & return. The thinks b/c it's not coming out of my pocket that the bursary is for my son as free money. My share each semester of his college tuition is $1500. It shouldn't matter where the money is coming from as long as I contribute personally or from a work benefit. I'll be discussing this with my lawyer tomorrow. Yes, she's unreasonable & extremely greedy. Also how many times can your children keep switching courses making it a career in school for support. My ex is playing games with this.

With regard to full time status I beleive it is 5 courses but it is dependent on a few things, like frequency, credit worth etc. You could call the admin office at the school and ask.

With regards to your work benefit your sons mother may be correct, greedy or not.

As with any benefit it is to be applied first, then the proportionate percentages determined.

Comment

In college/university it is 4 course, 12 classroom hours. It should display this on the interim transcript that is easily downloadable by the student and will display courses in progress.

In high school, if they are on a 2 semester system, it would be 3 courses first semester, 3 courses second semester. If the child only needs 3 credits, they are in school on a full time basis for half the year.

In terms of child support and defining him as "child of the marriage", if he has an application in for post secondary, which he should be able do in January, then being out of school for the second semester will not disqualify him from child support.

Comment

I can't call the admin office b/c both my sons are adults. I tried it for my youngest. My youngest told me he's taking 3 courses. As for the benefit I get that. I'm paying a third right now. I'm just giving it to my boys since they get the tax write off for it anyway.

Comment

In Ontario, OSAP and most higher education facilities consider a course load of less than 20 hours per week to be part time. 20 hours per week or more is considered full time.
          Last edited by FaithandMorals; 10-24-2012, 07:55 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Baffled_Dad View Post
            Can someone clarify what is considered full time school? My youngest (18) told me he is taking 3 courses returning back to high school after already graduating. Im assuming he is doing a half semester b/c he said he need a biology course. I'm not sure if he's doing 5 days either.
            The other issue is I've contributed to my oldest sons college tuition. I found out I have a benefit for $1500 per year per kid to go to their tuition. My ex caught wind only because I submitted the forms to my lawyer for her to fill out & return. The thinks b/c it's not coming out of my pocket that the bursary is for my son as free money. My share each semester of his college tuition is $1500. It shouldn't matter where the money is coming from as long as I contribute personally or from a work benefit. I'll be discussing this with my lawyer tomorrow. Yes, she's unreasonable & extremely greedy. Also how many times can your children keep switching courses making it a career in school for support. My ex is playing games with this.
            I believe your ex is correct. Just as daycare is split proportionate to income after all tax credits/subsidies etc are applied, tuition is also. It's not greedy, it makes much more sense as the proportionate amount you are each responsible for is lower this way.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
              I believe your ex is correct. Just as daycare is split proportionate to income after all tax credits/subsidies etc are applied, tuition is also. It's not greedy, it makes much more sense as the proportionate amount you are each responsible for is lower this way.
              Yes I understand that. This is what I've tried to explain to her. Each of our contributions would be a bit lower but she thinks not. For now I'm just giving to my son wait until next year to have it calculated properly.

Comment

Originally posted by FaithandMorals View Post
                In Ontario, OSAP and most higher education facilities consider a course load of less than 20 hours per week to be part time. 20 hours per week or more is considered full time.
                OSAP considers part time to be under 60% of the school's definition of the full course load.

Colleges and universities consider a full credit course to be between 3-4 hours per week. Most courses are 3. A full course load is UP TO 20 credit hours per week; 12 hours is considered within the full course load parameters. The number of hours affects a few different things, like job opportunities on campus, insurance coverage, OSAP, and the weight of your GPA when applying for competitive post-grad programs.

Comment

I thought you would have more to add Mess and I thought as I posted, I may be wrong. I state this as my knowledge is only based on a course I recently took. I realize my experience may be particular to one school.
                  I am sure Mess' obsevration is more accurate.

Comment

No worries. For a semester I was split between UofT and George Brown and I had to juggle to keep a minimum course load with at least one school.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X