Outstanding cost order and new application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outstanding cost order and new application

Hello, my ex has a rather large outstanding costs order against her, and hasn't paid a penny.
    My understanding is that she cannot submit a new application until previous costs have been paid.

I have reason to believe she will be attempting to reopen a custody battle imminently, and wondering if that's possible.

There have been no material changes in our situation.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Sorry, this was more of a question... aren't there rules preventing one party from filing a new application with outstanding cost orders?
    How does the court prevent repetitive applications that just bleed another party dry financially?

Comment

I wish it were automatic....

If/when your ex files an application you could do a cross-motion requesting that her motion be dismissed along with an Order that until such time as previous costs order be paid no further applications can be brought forward.

Best to get legal advice.

Comment

I've been hearing about a rule that states a party cannot continue a process is until the costs have been paid.

Can't find any such rule documented, even if it's not automatic.

Thoughts?

Comment

Oh I understand that, and totally agree with it. At the same time, I'm sure there's a rule that can be used to stop a vexatious litigant from continually racking up cost orders and opening new applications or motions.
          Judge's discretion of course.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X