Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• family law overhaul

Report to Supreme Court chief justice calls for family law overhaul

Report to Supreme Court chief justice calls for family law overhaul - The Globe and Mail

An unreleased report commissioned by the country’s top judge is urging a radical overhaul of Canada’s family law system.

The report to Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin, scheduled for release next month, calls for restructuring the family law system from the ground up, with a focus on streamlining the court process and ending a fixation on combat.

I'm sure that most of us in here would agree that it's high time for Canada's family law system to be updated. I found the comments at the bottom of the page to be an eye-opener ... no we are not alone in being totally disgusted with the way things work (or don't work I should say).
    Last edited by Janibel; 01-21-2014, 10:58 AM. Reason: typo

I'm sure that most of us in here would agree that it's high time for Canada's family law system to be updated.
    A bit of an understatement, but YES.....most of us believe it should the Canada family systems should have been revamped a decade or so ago, just like some civilized countries out there.

Side Note: I can every single PAYOR out there shouting.....you can say that again!!!

PS: Words taken from articles ARE TO BE PUT IN QUOTES, forum rules and all that. Disons simplement

Comment

Originally posted by FWB View Post
      A bit of an understatement, but YES.....most of us believe it should the Canada family systems should have been revamped a decade or so ago, just like some civilized countries out there.

Side Note: I can every single PAYOR out there shouting.....you can say that again!!!

PS: Words taken from articles ARE TO BE PUT IN QUOTES, forum rules and all that. Disons simplement
      Are you also a moderator now aside from all your other countless virtues?

Comment

Nah Madame...I don't need that accolade. Just simply trying go with what was said that..."one person is not being singled out"

So it will only make sense that words that are not yours, get put in quotes. It's plagiarism if you don't quote

bonne journée

Comment

To put it in Biblical terms :"go ye forth and multiply".

Comment

^^^Likewise

Comment

All things are not about "paying" [although this may ring true in your own personal situation].

FWB - your comments lead me to believe that you are disillusioned with Canada. Perhaps you should go back to your country of origin or to a more "civilized" country? I'm quite proud to be Canadian and believe Canada is, indeed, quite civilized and a great place to live.

Comment

What is turning so many young men into internet trolls? | Media | The Observer

"One motive for trolling, and perhaps one we're all most familiar with, seems to be simple boredom – too much free time after school, at work, or between jobs. These are the individuals who are trolling to kill a few hours, entertain themselves, and even impress others of a similar mindset."

"A second motive appears to be a need for attention, a craving that will accept any kind of attention, however positive or negative, as long as that person is at the centre of it. Such individuals may not just post offensive messages, but also annoyingly implausible stories, grand claims, and obvious lies."

There, I think I've made good use of your advice and avoided plagiarism.

Comment

Perhaps you should go back to your country of origin or to a more "civilized" country?
                  Arabian...I am disappointed to hear you come out with such a line. Now if we look at your comment, doesn't that just apply to all of us though? Comments like this, usually get people labelled, but am not going to go there

Doesn't matter if some people came here in the 1800s, 1900s or 2000...we are all visitors in this country called Canada.

Posters like Links17 and others have talked about how things are done in Australia and a number of other countries, so obviously am not the only one that thinks the family law system here is not up to speed with the rest of the world.
                  Last edited by FWB; 01-21-2014, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I particularly concur with "The ground-breaking report also recommends the imposition of painful cost awards against litigants who behave badly or impede settlements" (Makin, K., Report to Supreme Court justice, calls for family overhaul, Globe and Mail, Mar 27, 2013).

I know that in many cases we hear about repetitive adjournments and refusal to provide full financial disclosure. I wonder if this imposition of penalty would finally give people the impetus to be compensated without having to go through the procedure of contempt?

Comment

FWB - then watch your comments. Making a statement like you did opens yourself up to responses such as mine.

You are a slippery devil aren't you? You like to make comments that you know will upset people. Why can't you simply contribute in a normal, respectful manner? Dissing our country as being uncivilized is simply wrong and unpatriotic and I hope you discontinue doing this. The topic of this thread is not Australia nor has Links posted on it.

Perhaps a course in reading comprehension would help?

Comment

There are already sanctions in place in the way of cost rewards. I hear many forums members have had little success collecting on them. In the worst case, the person with the order against them can file for bankruptcy to escape them.

For normal, rational people these things can act as a deterrent. But for those HCP who live their lives just to continue the drama (eg WD's former spouse) no amount of cost awards bring an end to the drama, hysteria and litigation.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                          I particularly concur with "The ground-breaking report also recommends the imposition of painful cost awards against litigants who behave badly or impede settlements" (Makin, K., Report to Supreme Court justice, calls for family overhaul, Globe and Mail, Mar 27, 2013).

I know that in many cases we hear about repetitive adjournments and refusal to provide full financial disclosure. I wonder if this imposition of penalty would finally give people the impetus to be compensated without having to go through the procedure of contempt?
                          At the very least it would hopefully encourage faster settlement - in other words those litigants deliberately stretching things out would be held accountable for impeding the process.

Comment

Doesn't matter if some people came here in the 1800s, 1900s or 2000...we are all visitors in this country called Canada.

I am a citizen of Canada and I was born in Canada and I choose to stay in Canada. I am not a "visitor."

Comment

Dissing our country as being uncivilized is simply wrong and unpatriotic and I hope you discontinue doing this.
                              Dissing "our country"...like serious Arabian, are you NATIVE then?

I am Canadian, and those were just my personal opinions about the country that am entitled to as a citizen. What part of this can't you comprehend?

You are a slippery devil aren't you?
                              Name calling is not cool

Dissing our country as being uncivilized is simply wrong and unpatriotic
                              I guess it doesn't get any more "unpatriotic" as me serving this country and putting my life on the line eh?

The topic of this thread is not Australia nor has Links posted on it.
                              You claim to know ever post that Links17 has posted now? Wow

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X