No announcement yet.

Points to ponder - involvement of new spouse/step parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The issue isn't specifically about nail polish. The issue is that the bio-mom doesn't enjoy reminders that her child may have had fun with another mother figure over at dad's place.

Either step-mom has to erase the evidence (remove the polish just before exchange time, don't make crafts to send back to bio-mom, and tell the kid not to talk about the weekend) or bio-mom has to get over herself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
      I am sorry but that is absolutely ridiculous. Tell her no? Really? So all the other girls in the house are getting their nails painted, but because we don't want to upset bio-mom, we tell the child no? Not very likely. That is very poor advice. Maybe there were other reasons bio-mom took the nail polish off, as mentioned, but what if it really is because bio-mom just didn't like the fact that step-mom painted her nails? What better way to center the child out and make her feel different from other in the house hold. "Sorry honey, I am painting the other kids nails, but I am not going to paint yours"... how do you seriously explain that?

Good_mom... continue painting her nails when she asks, continue doing her hair when she asks, continue to do whatever it is she asks (within reason of course). You are doing nothing wrong by painting a little girls nails, Bio-mom needs to pull up her socks and stop acting like a fool..

By the way... same thing happens here... I am not into makeup and nail polish, but is we have a wedding or special occasion to attend, I will paint my nails and have done my step daughters before. The following week she came back and told me "Mom made me take it off", her exact words. Some people just don't understand that having more people to love and take care of this child is actually a good thing.
      The context wasn't in "let's all go to the spa"...it's step-mom is painting her nails and the child wants it too.

God forbid you should do as the mother of the child wishes and not what the child wishes. That would be absolute horrible step-parenting wouldn't it?

Comment

• The mother's wishes with regards to nail polish are irrelevant. I broached this very conversation with our counselor this week. And his advice was to use the "reasonable test" as he said "you can't keep living in fear of what the mother wants or expects". Ya ya, there is a whole lot more to this story than what I have posted here but its not way out in left field for another woman (the step mom) to put nail polish on a little girl.

I think we missed the part where this step mom included the little girl in an activity and made the little girl happy. It doesn't matter what mom thinks about it. See, this is the thing: mom and dad aren't together. This is dad and step mom's home. And there will be two sets of rules and traditions and expectations. And there are a few pivotal issues that likely will be problematic (religion maybe?) between the households but the rest of the sh*t is just gravy. We can't consider everything mom might take issue with a PROBLEM, because in reality it is HER problem; not the child's and not step mom's...

I suspect step mom is emotionally intelligent enough to know what is really happening in here and I'm going to go out on a limb and tell her she isn't a bad person for doing that. In fact, I think it is commendable that she took one for the team and did what she thought was right in the situation regardless of what bio mom may have felt (aka insecurities or spite). Sure... there could be a multitude of reasons why she took off the nail polish but I'm also willing to bet this wasn't an isolated situation and there are likely a lot more examples of similar behaviours. I can attest there are a gazillion in my own situation...

Comment

• Well, as long as step mom thinks it's okay, it must be okay. Gotchya. Mom is completely irrelevant. Understood. As long as we all know our roles here.

Comment

• Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
            Well, as long as step mom thinks it's okay, it must be okay. Gotchya. Mom is completely irrelevant. Understood. As long as we all know our roles here.
            Is Dad's house, Mom is completely irrelevant. Mom has no business dictating what goes on in Dad's house, just like Dad can't dictate what goes on in Mom's house.

It is clear what your opinion is on step parents and you are welcome to that opinion, but seriously take a step back and look at what you are saying here. Its not like step mom went and got the daughter tattooed, she put nail polish on a little girl. Is that really the end of the world? Would it be a huge deal if daughter went to a friends house and played dress up and got her nails painted?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rioe View Post
              The issue isn't specifically about nail polish. The issue is that the bio-mom doesn't enjoy reminders that her child may have had fun with another mother figure over at dad's place.

Either step-mom has to erase the evidence (remove the polish just before exchange time, don't make crafts to send back to bio-mom, and tell the kid not to talk about the weekend) or bio-mom has to get over herself.
              And how sad for the child not to be able to make crafts or show biomom something she is excited about, because biomom is busy acting like a child? It would seem in this situation, mom is being the unreasonable one, not Dad or step mom.

Tell me something ms mom... If Dad is okay with it, why doesn't mom have to respect his wishes? Why is it that only Dad and step mom have to respect biomom's wishes?

Comment

• I actually only responded to the nail polish comment as to indicate that I think all parents..both bio and step parents...need to minimize/eliminate using the kids to "tell-on" the other parent. You don't know why the bio mom is taking the nail polish off and listening to the kid's version of the story isn't credible.

It happens a lot on this forum that someone will tell a story about the other parent but they received the information through a child..often small children. They take it as a surgical explanation of the event and then flame about it endlessly.

The fact is that 1) children with HC divorced parents often play one off the other as part of the negotiation process to gain favor with one or the other party...2) the stories are a highly unreliable version of events...and 3) parents who encourage this kind of story-telling from the kids are really compromising their kid's emotional health.

In my opinion, with regard to the nail polish in general...you should do what you want at your house. Put the nail polish on when the kidlet is at your house...and the bio mom can take it off if she wants to. Why make mountains out of mole hills?

Comment

And how sad for the child not to be able to make crafts or show biomom something she is excited about, because biomom is busy acting like a child? It would seem in this situation, mom is being the unreasonable one, not Dad or step mom.

Tell me something ms mom... If Dad is okay with it, why doesn't mom have to respect his wishes? Why is it that only Dad and step mom have to respect biomom's wishes?
                  Not once did I say that Dad's wishes did not have to be respected. I never brought Dad into the equation at all. I seriously doubt dad has a huge opinion on nail polish and I doubt that step-mom has ever consulted with dad on the whole issue.

This apparently bothers the mom, or it doesn't. The step-mom's perception is that it definitely bothers the mom.

So, step-mom digs her heels in screams that she has the rights, yadda, yadda, yadda and continues to paint the child's nails even though step-mom will be further "bothered" when the child returns without the nail polish.

So, tell me, why perpetuate the issue? Why? Because you have a "right"? Well, mom has a "right" to remove said nail polish in her home. So, quit crabbing about it step-mom. Why let it bother YOU?

My opinions on step-moms - well some are good, some not so good - pretty much the same with any mom. But, in a blended family environment, getting "bothered" by nail polish - on or off - is really just symptomatic of a much larger issue.
                  Last edited by MS Mom; 01-28-2014, 12:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                    I actually only responded to the nail polish comment as to indicate that I think all parents..both bio and step parents...need to minimize/eliminate using the kids to "tell-on" the other parent. You don't know why the bio mom is taking the nail polish off and listening to the kid's version of the story isn't credible.

It happens a lot on this forum that someone will tell a story about the other parent but they received the information through a child..often small children. They take it as a surgical explanation of the event and then flame about it endlessly.

The fact is that 1) children with HC divorced parents often play one off the other as part of the negotiation process to gain favor with one or the other party...2) the stories are a highly unreliable version of events...and 3) parents who encourage this kind of story-telling from the kids are really compromising their kid's emotional health.

In my opinion, with regard to the nail polish in general...you should do what you want at your house. Put the nail polish on when the kidlet is at your house...and the bio mom can take it off if she wants to. Why make mountains out of mole hills?
                    I agree PH. Healthy boundaries that demonstrate a respect for each other's role is important. Those boundaries aren't cut and dry and need to be developed as you go. There needs to be a willingness to be open enough to pick up on the cues as you go along, and not be personally offended by it. By doing this I now know not to buy my step-son a new winter coat. Why? Who cares.

Comment

I don't think any of the above was brought up at all. The only point I was trying to make is not every action by mom is adversarial and to read conflict into everything will only get you conflict.

The step-mom I deal with swooped in, took over, eliminated my daughter from her father's life and then took dad 2500 km away. She put my daughter on a diet when she was 8 years old (and only three weeks into ... surprise, I'm your new step-mom) and completely and totally devastated my daughter's self-esteem. She's managed to raise two children - 21 and 19. The 21 year old is currently facing felony charges and the 19 year old is just about to get married - for the second time.

And even I don't believe that step-moms are all bad, despite the grief the one in my life has handed me. I believe I said earlier in the thread that if the step-mom I dealt with had a tenth of the compassion and capability of the step-moms in this thread, I'd be pleased as punch. But, she doesn't.

Pick your battles, because believe me, they could be significantly worse. Don't get bothered because mom has her barriers with her children. They just may be absolutely everything she has.

Comment

• Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
                        The context wasn't in "let's all go to the spa"...it's step-mom is painting her nails and the child wants it too.

God forbid you should do as the mother of the child wishes and not what the child wishes. That would be absolute horrible step-parenting wouldn't it?
                        The mother of my children has no say whatsoever about what goes on with the children when they are at my home.

Comment

• Wow busy night on the Forum...

To clarify:

Child did not rat mom out...fully removed nail polish after 2 days is obvious and after the thrid time it happen, I stopped puting mine on when D4 is around.

I think many, need to go look at toys stores and see that they do sell nail polish kits for young girls.

I don't bring her to get her hair cut, nor would I. I will not bring her to get a bra, or get her prom dress but I will bring her with dad to get clothig for her home with us.

I did not say, What bothers me! I said: What I do find difficult about being a step parent: meaning it is difficult to know limitations when something as little as putting on nail polish seems to be an issue.

Bi-mom was the first one to put it on her....if mom hadn’t I would not have done this. Dad had even put some on her before I did.

FYI if mom was so bothered by it, she could have e-mailed dad instead of taking it off of D4.

When she has some from mom's we leave it on and it last for weeks.

Oh...so should I then let bio-mom help D4 pick out her summer dress for our wedding then? Insert sarcasm here!

My point is this....no matter what children should not be use to get to anyone....you have an issue, send an e-mail to the adults and handle it like adults.

I left this one alone because really it is just nail polish. I found it petty and bringing attention to it would have put the child in the middle of this pettiness.

I was using it as an example of adult pettiness...Just saying!

Thank you all for your perspective....
                          Last edited by good_mom; 01-28-2014, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• MS Mom, you are completely missing the point here, probably due to your bad experience with your daughter's stepmom.

The point is that sometimes, some, not all of moms, do things, like taking nail polish off as soon as their daughters come home and saying how it is not nice color, or any other negative comments. In this situation, mom is not happy that stepmom did something with their kid that the kid enjoyed. So, with all the negative comments, they are making that experience a negative one. Next time, her daughter will probably ask stepmom, can you please take nail polish before I leave to my mom's house (at least similar things happen in our household). So what mom accomplished is that kid is afraid to show that they had any positive experiences at their dad's and stepmom's. But in all of this, it is te kid that is hurt, not dad or stepmom, except that it hurt us that the kid is hurt). And mom is happy, because she doesn't hear about any good things that happened at dad's house anymore, because, well it is just to hurtful for mom. But make no mistake, kids still want to do those kids, like putting nail polish, or doing crafts, or getting a new toy, they just don't want their mom to know about it. After all, it is mom that is missing out on stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mess View Post
                              The mother of my children has no say whatsoever about what goes on with the children when they are at my home.
                              Exactly my point.

I don't think the issue is the nail polish, I think the issue is bio-mom (in this case). Even if Dad wasn't consulted every time step mom put nail polish on the little girl, who cares? It stands to reason he knows it has happened and has not objected to it, so there is no valid reason to get his input every time.

What happens in Dad and step moms house is their business and what happens in Mom (and step dad's?) house is their business. If Mom wants to take it off, she is obligated to do so, but if Dad or step mom put it back on, so be it.

Is getting upset over Mom taking it off worth it? No, because she is being petty in my opinion, if she is only doing it because it went on at Dad's house, but that doesn't mean Mom gets to stomp her feet and get her way.

It is really sad when kids are put in this type of situation. I can honestly say, my step kids are very vocal... D6 more than S8, but nonetheless, I do think they feel the stress that their Mom sometimes puts on them.

I will give you an example.

There have been multiple times the kids have come to us covered in tattoos.... I am not just talking 1-2, I am talking over a dozen, on their arms, legs, belly and back, okay whatever, they are kids, doesn't bother us at all. This past summer we took the kids and a couple of their friends to the beach carnival. There was a booth doing face painting and putting on tattoos. The girls asked if they could get one, sure why not. The 3 girls all got matching tattoos and were really excited about it.

A few days later they went back to their mom's... Dad calls a couple days after that to say hello and good night like he usually does. D6 is upset on the phone because Mom scrubbed her tattoo off and it hurt. She was sad she had to take it off... Now maybe there were viable reasons for Mom wanting it off and we could understand if we crossed a boundary because D6 never had a fake tattoo before... but to us, it seemed like Mom only did it because it happened at OUR house. Next time we went to the beach carnival, D6 explained that she was not allowed to get another tattoo because Mom said she wasn't allowed to get tattoos with Dad or I.

Did Mom really say that? Maybe, maybe not, but maybe that is the way the little girl interpreted it when Mom took it off her.

We have had the same issues with trimming the kids hair. Only MOM is allowed to take them to get their hair cut, according to them.

Oh well, it is what it is and we will continue to parent in our house as we see fit and Mom is welcome to do the same.

Comment

Exactly my point..
                                Agree with all that. I just want to add that independant decision making in each home is the starting point. If the other parent has a suggestion, or an ongoing concern, their starting point should be that they have no right to interfer, but that they have a right to start a conversation.

My kids have best friends at school, I know the parents, there are playdates and sleepovers. I don't tell the other parents how they should parent, and if my daughter came home with nail polish on after a sleepover, I would say "How nice!" and that would be the end of it.

After divorce, we are autonomous individuals with completely separate households. There is no innate right to have any decision making over what goes on in the other home. I strongly suspect that a parent who has complaints about the other household would be aghast if the other parent started criticizing their parenting.

Any input that we have with the other parent is through their own graciousness to be open. It is not something we can demand; it is something we have to earn.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X