Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But the problem is that the school does NOT provide any correspondence in English. That's their policy. If I want to speak with them, they have indicated that they want to speak with the mother instead, since she has french. This is the problem.

The learning enough French as I go is not an issue. and certainly we (DD and I) can have fun with it.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
      But the problem is that the school does NOT provide any correspondence in English. That's their policy. If I want to speak with them, they have indicated that they want to speak with the mother instead, since she has french. This is the problem.

The learning enough French as I go is not an issue. and certainly we (DD and I) can have fun with it.
      I understand that the school only provides correspondence in French, and I understand that you are worried that your ex will block your access to information because of it. You concerns are not unfounded.

However, the opportunity is the BEST thing for your child....

Remove the barrier and start learning the language NOW...

Then the school will have to speak with you... there will be no reason not to.

There is a very simple solution to your problem... so now the only problem is whether or not you will act on the solution.

Get your azz to Chapters and buy a French tutorial... today!!

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post

Have you spoken with the school board on this or is this coming from the ex or some teacher at the school? The majority of school boards do have a policy that regular correspondance is in French however english info is provided when requested. If the school board is not the one telling you this then get in touch with them and find out what their policy is. If they do only provide french info (hard to believe they would in this day and age) find out from them how best to support your daughter to help her be successfull.

Do not take the word of your ex or some random teacher as 'law', get in touch with the right peeps and find out for sure.

Comment

Official policy is that anglos should contact the principal if they need info in english. So, no parent-teacher interviews unless I can get thru in french.

This is coming from talking with the school reception, schoolboard website, and other parents I've met who have kids attending. I have a meeting with principal in a few days... will see.

Haha ... 'Did my ex tell me?' No... she wasn't even going to tell me of which school she was interested in until after the fact.

Comment

Then you contact the principal with a request to get as much info as possible in english. You frame it as a necessity to help your child be successful. If you need to, then arrange for a french speaking friend to accompany you to parent teacher interviews or make friends with other parents there that can help you out. Interviews are few and far between so it's not like it would be everyday.

There are lots of parents in the same situation speaking a different language then what your child is learning, but why should your child's options be limited to your proficiencies? You may even be able to find other parents there at the school who are english speaking only and find out what they do.

Comment

Interesting.... I had a nice chat with the french school principal, and he recommended AGAINST enrolling our daughter there, since she does not have any capability in french. Too much stress, and likelihood of failure. He recommended a French Immersion school instead (which is what I already suggested to my ex) ... and then later a possible transfer.

What the heck is my ex thinking!!!
              Last edited by dinkyface; 02-15-2011, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I assumed if your ex was french speaking then your kid was already exposed to it and fairly fluent, if she isn't then putting her in an all french school at this point wouldn't be a great idea.

I know for my kids, they were both in french immersion for kindergartens which wasn't optional, then core french from 1-3 and the optional of moving to french immersion in grade 4. I did consider putting one of my kids into an all french school for grade 4 but they pretty much said the same thing so she went into the immersion program and has been in it ever since. She has only one class now that is in english and will be able to pursue post-secondary education in French as she is pretty well bilingual at this point, she actually does better in french than in english.

Did they say if there is any 'tests' or anything they would look at to determine her eligibility for attending?

Comment

Yup, there's a mini interview to check her capability, done at time of registration. But I think if the parent can prove they meet some specific eligibility criteria (as far as I know, she'd have to lie/fabricate), the test is skipped ... I guess they assume common sense on the parent's part.
                  Last edited by dinkyface; 02-15-2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

You will adapt. My stepdaughter attended a French catholic school in southern Ontario. She is now 19 and is considered bilingual with tones of opportunity. My spouse does speak French either and it was interesting doing school assignments but she got it done.

Take some French lessons and move forward for your child's sake. This is a good thing for them.

Comment

Pharah, of course we will. That's not the issue. I want her to learn french and will support it as best as I can. But Mom is pushing an inappropriate, high-risk-of-failure approach that the french principal himself recommends against. Please see my prior posts...

Comment

I have read your posts. French Immersion is not the same level of French education. How old is your daughter?

In my stepdaughter's case, her mother (no contact with dad) did not speak French but was encourage to enroll in French Immersion in SR kindergarten. At the start of grade 2 they had moved to the Niagara region where they don't have French Immersion until grade 5, so she was enrolled in a French Catholic board school. The first year was difficult but she learned quickly as the kids all speak French all the time (like moving there, you learn quicker). And yes, all parent teacher interviews, reports, etc where in French but she adapted and ended up getting involved at the school etc. Your relationship with the school is what you make of it.

Anyway, in grade 7 she changed back to public French Immersion and was speaking French more fluently then the teachers in the Immersion program.

It's your choice and in the end, it will be up to the principal to allow enrollment but I think you would be making a mistake by not allowing this. They will communicate with you, you may need to get in their face a bit but as I said, you will overcome this.

Comment

There are 2 options that will both meet the same end goal - to learn french. One is high-risk, the other is lower-risk. One principal (based on his professional experience) recommends the lower risk option. Which would you pick?

Our daughter turns 4 this summer, so we are discussing JK enrollment. French Immersion starts in SK (at 5yo). She has NO french at the moment - she has heard some isolated words now and then, but there is no retention, no sign of consistent exposure.

Still a bit perplexed by your response, pharah.... assuming I haven't included all info.
                          Last edited by dinkyface; 02-16-2011, 04:11 PM.

Comment

DF: I am just trying to sharing our experiences. Of course it will not be the exact same but there are clear differences/benefits for the French board schools.

Either way, since you have some time, your daughter (and you) could be enrolled in French language classes over the next few month.

In the long run, with the French board your daughter will have a far better grasp of the French language then with French Immersion. At least that is my opinion.

Comment

Thanks Pharah for your insight/experience. The french school principal did suggest a later transfer to his school would be possible once she was successful in the immersion school, and I agree it makes sense. Then I'd have to face my own fear again of the communication difficulties, but will cross that bridge when it comes. Another drawback is that the french classmates are not local kids - they are bussed in from all over - but I don't think that's a real decision factor.

Comment

Yeah, I can see that being a concern. My son has had difficultly making friends in our local school. Not sure whether this is cultural or just societal. Hopefully this will change as he gets older.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X