This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Property

I Live In Louisiana And It's A Community Property State. I'm Not Divorced, But I Need To Know If One Spouse Can Sell A Piece Of Real Estate Without The Other Agreeing To It?? He Signed A Purchase Agreement, Without My Knowledge, And I'm Trying To Break It. The Prospective Buyers Are Trying To Force A Sale, But How Can I Be Made To Sell My Half Of The Interest In The Property??

I would think he would need an order from the court to force you to sell especially since your not willing. You may have to compensate for the other persons share of the property. The purchase agreement or transaction will not go through without your consent. Check with a local lawyer and get an understanding of your rights and obligations.

Comment

I had the opposite happen...my ex refused to sign an agreement for the sale of the house.
      I had to get a immediate order for the courts to force him to sign...I was told that if he didn't sign and I lost the value of the home because of it, I could then later sue him for the loss but there was a way to sell it without his signature. But court ordered here in Canada only. No realtor here would do it without his signature.
      Luckily for me, he ended up agreeing prior to the order being necessary.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X