Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spousal support count as "income" ?

Just curious....

Let's say an ex spouse (A)is receiving a significant amount of spousal support. Said spouse then becomes common law with a new partner (B)for the 3 year period and the new partner makes significantly less than the ex spouse receiving spousal support.

I realize common law spouses can attack each other for spousal support after three years co-habitation. Let's assume that much if not all of the income that A receives is spousal support which of course is taxable. Assuming "B"
    goes after "A" for spousal support, and that is their only source of income, would they likely be successful ?

In other words, could a spousal support recipient in effect have to transfer some of his/her spousal support to his/her second partner in the event of a separation ?

Is it reported in their T1 as income? If yes, you have your answer.

Comment

There are three components in determining spousal support: compensatory, non-compensatory and contractual. SS can be awarded on any one of these or all of these. Rule of 65 is examined.

Then you mix in need and ability to pay related to the three components of SS.

Spousal support paid one year is not used to calculate the amount of spousal support payable the following year. Spousal support received, as well as paid, is identified clearly on the income tax return.

Spousal support is to 'even the playing field' after the end of the marriage. A new partner's income could possibly be examined in determining need depending upon the nature of the SS (compensatory, non-compensatory or contractual).

Does that answer your question? LOL

Comment

Hi Arabian:

I think you misunderstood my question. It's not that I was wondering if MY spousal support will be reduced to my ex spouse due to her hooking up with a common law partner.

It was IF her new common law partner could in effect take some of her spousal support for his own spousal support (confusing I know lol).

The 2nd poster, if I understood his reply correctly, is essentially saying "yes".

Would certainly be "poetic justice" if down the road SHE had to pay spousal support to an ex boyfriend who earned less than her !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
          There are three components in determining spousal support: compensatory, non-compensatory and contractual. SS can be awarded on any one of these or all of these. Rule of 65 is examined.

Then you mix in need and ability to pay related to the three components of SS.

Spousal support paid one year is not used to calculate the amount of spousal support payable the following year. Spousal support received, as well as paid, is identified clearly on the income tax return.

Spousal support is to 'even the playing field' after the end of the marriage. A new partner's income could possibly be examined in determining need depending upon the nature of the SS (compensatory, non-compensatory or contractual).

Does that answer your question? LOL
          I think what OP was trying to get is whether or not SS could/would be used as income in the event a 2nd marriage fails.

A & B divorce. A pays B SS.

B gets into a new relationship with C.

Between SS and employment income, B makes more than C.

B and C breakup.

C is going after SS from B taking into consideration B's full income.

B wants their SS from omitted from the calculation as it means that C's claim to non-compensatory SS wouldn't hold up.

Comment

EXACTLY correct HammerDad !

So, bottom line, can "C" essentially take some of "B's" spousal support as their own spousal support ?

Comment

I don't like this question LOL --- sorry, I just don't. So new BF wants spousal support from a spousal support recipient. He changes his orientation and shacks up with original SS payee -even's things out, no?
              A and B get divorced
              A pays SS to B
              B shacks up with C
              B and C split up
              C gets SS from B
              C and A fall in love ............... (I need more coffee)

Comment

Originally posted by shellshocked22 View Post
                EXACTLY correct HammerDad !

So, bottom line, can "C" essentially take some of "B's" spousal support as their own spousal support ?
                C would have to have a reason to get spousal support, as you are well aware it isn't automatic.

If that was approved, then as you are also aware, they would look at the total income of B, which includes Spousal Support.

It isn't a matter of redistributing your spousal support. It is a matter of assessing how much B owes C based on their relative incomes.

And of course if A's SS stops, then that would be a material change in circumstances.

Comment

SS is not employment income and is not used to determine income for purposes of calculating SS.

Comment

SS is not employment income and is not used to determine income for purposes of calculating SS.
                    Do you list it on your T1 as income? Do you pay taxes on it? Income is income, employment or otherwise. It isn't c/s which is for the benefit of the child.

Comment

I believe the OP's question was regarding SS not CS.

Comment

I believe the OP's question was regarding SS not CS.
                        Agreed. If you read my post and substitute SS for "it", you will see that is what I was alluding to.

Do you list it on your T1 as income? Do you pay taxes on it? Income is income, employment or otherwise. It isn't c/s which is for the benefit of the child.

Comment

Janibel - why don't you like where this is going? Surely new spouses are as entitled as first spouses with regards to SS? Can you explain?

Comment

IF I shacked up with someone, then separated, and they tried to come after me for SS they most certainly would not be entitled to a portion of the SS I currently receive. My employment or investment income would be free game but I don't believe my SS would be eligible.

If someone can show me case law that says otherwise I'll eat my keyboard.

Comment

Arabian, it's not entitled to "a portion of the SS you receive" it's compensation after justifying a right to SS (based on the 3 reasons you gave further up on this thread that I cannot cut and paste via mobile).

All that to say - I am not a SS recipient. I never will be. I really have no business offering my comment on "who" should receive SS or why....but there is no shame in being forward thinking to those that can plan their futures still (meaning they already aren't in a "spot") and planning to not to be dependent on your spouse.

Now I realize there is a multitude of reasons why some people choose to and/or have to be...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X