WILLS family law act section 5 and section 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WILLS family law act section 5 and section 6

Please explain what this means, it is my husbands will.
    I declare that if my spouse elects under the provisions of Section 6 of the family law act as amended from time to time, to receive the spouse's entitlement under Section 5 of the Act, my spouse shall be deemed to have predeceased me for all purposes of my will and any codicil

Janice, your case is really complicated and your posts appear to demonstrate you are trying to find interpretations if the family law act and divorce act to protect yourself. You need a lawyer. Stop posting here and call one. You were here eight years ago with complicated issues and are now back with a husband who is moving assets around. CALL A LAWYER.

Comment

Unless the will of the deceased specifically provides that the surviving spouse’s entitlement, if any, under the will is in addition to his or her equalization entitlement, the surviving spouse will be put to an election, having to choose either the provisions of the will or the equalization entitlement (FLA, subsection 6(1)). If the FLA equalization entitlement is chosen, the will entitlement is forfeited, and the will is administered as if the surviving spouse had predeceased the deceased spouse. Either the entitlement under the will or an equalization payment can be claimed by the surviving spouse, but not both (FLA, subsection 6(1)).
      https://www.pallettvalo.com/news-cen...viving-spouse/

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X