Supplements/Vitamins and Section 7 Expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplements/Vitamins and Section 7 Expenses

Hi, my child used to and still takes supplements and vitamins (no test proving deficiency) as per recommendation from the doctor. The supplements/vitamins are over the counter and are not prescriptions. Spouse asking to include these as Section 7 expenses. Are these considered Section 7 expenses? Thanks

No. Most over the counter meds are not section 7.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      No. Most over the counter meds are not section 7.
      Thanks so much rockscan. What if the supplements are recommended by a medical doctor? (all over the counter though and have been given to the child prior to separation as well). Thanks

Comment

Thats what child support is for. If it was covered by insurance then it would be reimbursed but it is not. Therefore your child support covers it.

Comment

Thats what child support is for. If it was covered by insurance then it would be reimbursed but it is not. Therefore your child support covers it.
          If the supplements are medically necessary they would be covered under an Exceptional Access Program (EAP) for OHIP (if Ontario) and other programs in other provinces. You have to apply for this and the medical doctor (MD) has to fill out the paperwork and you have to go through the process.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/p...gs/eap_mn.aspx

Generally the cost to vitamin supplements are not significant but, if the child needs inflatables the costs can add up. If in Ontario it would be a children's hospital involved in this and they would have advised you of the program and even filled it out if the treatment is in support of a diagnosed medical condition.

Just because a doctor says you should take a multi-vitamin doesn't mean it is necessary nor a medical intervention needed to support the health of the child. Lots of parents do not understand what is "advice' and what is a "medical directive" given by a doctor.

Good Luck!
          Tayken

Comment

I am sure every family doctor gives advice on additional things to do to stay healthy.

As the judge in my husbands case said—his doctor recommends he eat more fish and vegetables and not sit so much but then he wouldn’t be able to work. That comment was in relation to the ex demanding my husband pay additional support for a medically required diet. There was no prescribed diet, kid had to avoid certain foods.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
              If the supplements are medically necessary they would be covered under an Exceptional Access Program (EAP) for OHIP (if Ontario) and other programs in other provinces. You have to apply for this and the medical doctor (MD) has to fill out the paperwork and you have to go through the process.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/p...gs/eap_mn.aspx

Generally the cost to vitamin supplements are not significant but, if the child needs inflatables the costs can add up. If in Ontario it would be a children's hospital involved in this and they would have advised you of the program and even filled it out if the treatment is in support of a diagnosed medical condition.

Just because a doctor says you should take a multi-vitamin doesn't mean it is necessary nor a medical intervention needed to support the health of the child. Lots of parents do not understand what is "advice' and what is a "medical directive" given by a doctor.

Good Luck!
              Tayken
              Thanks Tayken. The doctor has actually used the words "suggested" supplements. Tests results do not show any deficiency but the supplements are supposed to be helping the child as per the discussion with the doctor, hence being given. Yes, they are quite expensive as the best quality ones have been used always.

Comment

I am sure every family doctor gives advice on additional things to do to stay healthy.

As the judge in my husbands case said—his doctor recommends he eat more fish and vegetables and not sit so much but then he wouldn’t be able to work. That comment was in relation to the ex demanding my husband pay additional support for a medically required diet. There was no prescribed diet, kid had to avoid certain foods.
                Makes sense. Thanks so much for your help
                None of the tests in our case proves that the child has any deficiency but the supplements have been given to help the child improve due to some of the child's medical issues

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X