Strong pet odour attached to kids coming home from ex's house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Straittohell View Post
    What would be the end-game of checking city by-laws?

Are you suggesting that I rat out my ex and get her pets taken away?
    My suggestion would be to drop the whole issue and move on. Nothing good will come out of any discussion. The alternative (depending on the children's ages) would be to talk to the other parent (or the children) about using deodorant etc... If they are at that age. It may help mask the smell of the pet odor.

As well, for anyone buying exotic pets to check if they are permitted. Generally their is a reason cities and provinces ban pets. For some reason people buy their kids the weirdest exotic pets after separation.

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
      My suggestion would be to drop the whole issue and move on. Nothing good will come out of any discussion. The alternative (depending on the children's ages) would be to talk to the other parent (or the children) about using deodorant etc... If they are at that age. It may help mask the smell of the pet odor.

As well, for anyone buying exotic pets to check if they are permitted. Generally their is a reason cities and provinces ban pets. For some reason people buy their kids the weirdest exotic pets after separation.

Good Luck!
      Tayken
      Unfortunately, they are only 5 and 8, and even deodorant won't mask this odour, as it settles into their clothes, backpacks, scarves, mitts, etc. It is even on my ex, and can be noticed from a few feet away. I was at a school event with my kids last night, and my son gave me his mitts to stash in my coat pocket (because that's what children do, lol). I hadn't thought to wash or check his mitts over the weekend, but as I stood at the event, I realized that the mitts were so saturated with the odour that it was actually emanating out of the pocket, despite the fact that I had zipped it up. I was surprised by that.

Again, not sure why you mentioned the by-law bit if there is ultimately nothing actionable to follow from it. Either way, it is an interesting tidbit of information that you share, thanks for that. I don't foresee myself starting a firestorm by calling the city to get the pets taken away.

You are bang on about my ex and her getting pets in the wake of a divorce, though. She lobbied hard to get a dog while we were together, and then, a year after getting the dog, as she was preparing to move out, she told me that she wouldn't be taking the dog with her because dogs weren't allowed. Within months of having moved out, she had acquired a new dog and two cats with her new boyfriend. The cats, as mentioned in previous posts on this thread, have since 'left the building', but the dog, sugar gliders, gecko, gerbil, and fish remain. For now.

The opinions in this thread seem pretty split down the middle about discussing versus ignoring. I'm leaning in the direction of talking to her about it later this week, and trying to be as diplomatic as possible. (and using some of the suggestions provided) I'm really hoping that it is a matter of her not realizing how powerful the smell is since she lives in it, and that she will pay closer attention to the situation.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X