Clear All

• Breaking Bad, meet Breaking Bad Parents

Something (I would say mandatory) to read for all

Breaking Bad inspires judge’s decision in custody battle | Toronto Star

2014 ONSC 4002 (CanLII)

Regards,
    WD

Originally posted by WorkingDAD View Post
    Tayken just posted this in LF32's thread. Great read, although I'm not sure it will help LF32.

EDIT: I'm betting neither of them expected the publicity this is getting... Although that's what happens when you go to court.

Comment

Originally posted by FB_ View Post
      Tayken just posted this in LF32's thread. Great read, although I'm not sure it will help LF32.

EDIT: I'm betting neither of them expected the publicity this is getting... Although that's what happens when you go to court.
      I am not even going to try to go to that thread with amount of messages it has and it's second part...

May be Taken will repost it here.

WB

PS:
      I guess they did not. Interestingly enough I was in a court when Chappel J made an order mentioned there... Hopefully parents read it and listen ... But from what I heard and saw in court and how mom behave I have very little hope that it will not go to trial...

Comment

From the immediate link provided...I'll like to find these refrences

Pazaratz isn’t the only judge to spice up his legal jargon with a compelling metaphor or literary spin. Toronto Justice Fergus O’Connell, for instance, once employed Shakespeare and Lewis Carroll references in a Highway Traffic Act case. Niagara region judge Joseph Quinn is also known to pen some colourful quips in his family law decisions, including: “Paging Dr. Freud. Paging Dr. Freud.”

Comment

Quinn - Dr. Freud
          CanLII - 2010 ONSC 6568 (CanLII)

ODonnell - Shakespeare and Carroll
          CanLII - 2013 ONCJ 160 (CanLII)
          and bonus Shakespeare decisions
          CanLII - 2014 ONCJ 238 (CanLII)
          CanLII - 2013 ONCJ 428 (CanLII)

I think making their decisions interesting instead of dry is sometimes how judges maintain their sanity.

Why yes, I am procrastinating...

Comment

Basically the mother was trying to create as much conflict as possible so she could get sole custody.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
              Basically the mother was trying to create as much conflict as possible so she could get sole custody.
              Any why do people fight for sole custody do you think.....

- To spite the other party

- The get table amount

- because they are insane, self-centered, miserable, deluded

?????

Comment

Originally posted by childfocused View Post
                Any why do people fight for sole custody do you think.....

- To spite the other party

- The get table amount

- because they are insane, self-centered, miserable, deluded

?????
                Some or all of the above - no parent who loves their child and isn't divorcing a SERIOUSLY unfit parent would spend 20-50,000$ keeping the other parent away from the child but ANY normal parent would fight to death to NOT reduce the time with their child from seeing them daily to seeing them 4 days a month. Sole Custody except in EXCEPTIONAL circumstances is stupid.

The reality is that the 20-50k comes back to the sole custody parent as child support so financially it also happens to be lucrative.

Comment

I am not even going to try to go to that thread with amount of messages it has and it's second part...

WB

PS:
                  I guess they did not. Interestingly enough I was in a court when Chappel J made an order mentioned there... Hopefully parents read it and listen ... But from what I heard and saw in court and how mom behave I have very little hope that it will not go to trial...
                  I will do a more in-depth review of the case law but, I am currently over loaded with researching case law on securing costs prior to motion/trial and vexatious litigation for someone...

I wish I would have been in the court room for that hearing and the follow up with Pazaratz. I would kindly point the lawyer representing the mother, Catherine Haber, and her client, Candace June Coe, to these very interesting threads that may assist them in resolving the matter and not going down the road of possibly making false allegations of "abuse".

1. Justice Quinn says your complaints are "as common as theath": http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...n-teeth-17253/

2. That is because as Justice Piercea points out... That is the difficulty with the term "abuse": http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...ase-law-16809/

3. And well, as we all know it is a common truism to claim "abuse" on an emergency motion to establish a false status quo: http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...ily-law-15139/

4. Finally, we all know what not to do: http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...hildren-15927/

Hopefully, Ms. Coe followed good advice when selecting the professionals she chooses to work with and retain.

My hat goes off to Michael Clarke and his client Derek Robert Tope. Excellent position to take and I look forward to reviewing the file and all the materials published to the public court records. I have no doubt that much of the allegations will be "tayken" directly off other "domestic violence" sites. I would recommend you and your client OCR the affidavits from the respondent and run them through a plagiarism checker. 90% of the time the allegations are cut-and-pasted from websites and books.

Allegations of abuse such as the ones outlined in the publicly posted case law generally lead to evidence of plagiarism. The other "fun" thing to do if you have time is to pull the files for the last 5-10 cases brought forward by opposing counsel and see if there is a common pattern of behaviour in the allegations put forward. Some times the affidavits are all "same same but different".

Good Luck!
                  Tayken
                  Last edited by Tayken; 07-16-2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

WB

PS:
                    I am not even going to try to go to that thread with amount of messages it has and it's second part.
                    The threads have kind of taken on a life of their own. Lot's of juicy ideas and angles thrown around though for anybody going through the struggle.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X