This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
    I know that some folks think home schooling is fine, and that is good for them. Personally I don't think that is anywhere comparable to the structured learning that is offered by a professional in a classroom setting.

Homeschooling is an excellent education alternative for many families. With more and more families with two parents on alternating shift work, homeschooling has also become a realistic option for some.

"Professionals" in classroom setting have, indeed, been professionally trained to teach large groups of children who are all relatively the same age. Unfortunately too many children fall through the cracks in such an exhausted often over-populated system. The bright children are bored, the challenged ones do not get the attention they deserve, and the middle 'average' children usually will do fine.

The one-on-one attention that homeschooled children receive allows them to advance on their own time, fuelled by their interests and natural craving for knowledge.

As you have probably figured, I homeschooled my 5 children. For us it was a very positive experience. All 5 of my children have gone on to either college or university, two of them with scholarships. I am not a professional. I have my high school diploma and a strong desire to facilitate my children's love of learning. That's all it took. They are all adults now, professionals in their own fields, and law-abiding tax paying citizens.

My long-winded post is mostly to offer a differing real-life opinion about homeschooling, and to reassure parents that JK is most certainly not necessary. One generation ago JK didn't even exist and we all survived. SK is not necessary either and isn't even legally required in the province of Ontario (I don't know about the other provinces because it didn't apply to my family's needs.) In my opinion all the other grades are optional too. So long as a child is in an environment that nurtures learning, he/she will learn.

As a parent who has actually homeschooled her children I felt that I had to speak up in this thread... people have the wrong idea about homeschooling. Many have simply "decided" that it isn't good, socially or educationally, and this is not supported by studies and statistics that have been done on homeschooled children and adults. Time and time again homeschooled children fare better than their traditionally schooled peers.

Homeschooling is certainly not for everyone, but it is an excellent education alternative and NOT what most people think.

Comment

It takes a special commitment to home-school, something that is apparent in your post. Good going!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X