Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:03 PM

Soiled is on a distinguished road
Default Lawyer Professionalism

I've been receiving emails lately from my Ex's Lawyer which, to me at least, seem to be rather unprofessional. Do lawyers usually phrase things in a manner where it appears to be them making a request not their client? Or stating their opinion on a matter? I'll use some examples...

"Also, through this process, I ask and hope that you would..."

"Lastly, while we are navigating this difficult issue, I ask that you..."

"...these sorts of allegations are disturbing, to say the least."

I may just be overly critical and looking for fault, but it seems to me that when he writes that way the statements and requests are from him, and not his client.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:56 PM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

The lawyer will phrase things in a way that they feel will help their client.

If it rattles you and causes you to respond in a way that hurts your case, then that's a win for the lawyer.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:52 PM

Stillbreathing will become famous soon enough

In my experience this is just par for the course. My ex has had several different lawyers over the course of our ongoing 10 year litigation and they all seem to communicate this way. To save my sanity I give all his lawyers and the opposing players nicknames. His lawyers have included Mr. Manure and Mr. P...Envy to name a few.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:04 AM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

I would just crumple those letters when received. Written in a way saying "Your cooperation is needed" and "It is expected you comply" in trying to get me to give into their unreasonable positions. It was actually laughable, but sad that such letters probably cost $500 which should have been used on kids instead of trying to "scare" me into giving into her demands. Don't pay any attention to such letters.

If anything, it goes to show the quality of lawyer she has. My lawyer would refuse to send such letters, advising me to save my hard-earned money for when it is really needed (ie: motions and trial if required)