Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:03 PM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenj View Post

Yes - you're right I am worried about changing lawyers due to costs. But I'm worried about his judgement. I'm also worried he may want to settle just because he's not comfortable with trials of my nature.

Thoughts?
I changed lawyers -and it saved me in the long run. My first lawyer had the same issues as yours- frankly, she was getting outlawyered by the other side. By a lot. From our second meeting- she said "Look- he's going to get joint custody- even if he's convicted of charges. I've seen a lot of domestic cases- and the judges will eventually give them joint." She basically told me to give up and send my kid over to my ex- who had (then) recently threatened to slit her throat to make me mad (was HIS reasoning).

She wasn't getting anywhere as well. And they were a very reputable firm in the east end.

I paid for second opinion from two other lawyers and it was the best money I ever spent. My next lawyer- cost $400 more per hour but overall I know he saved me money. He also secured me peace of mind by actually having a plan to get my ex into therapy, a graduated parenting plan for access, and sole custody so I could limit my interaction with my ex.

I disagree with Stillpaying. If you feel off about your lawyers judgment- spend some $ and seek a second opinion.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:41 PM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

Ask yourself this: “If I lose at trial, will I kick myself afterwards for not following my gut and switching lawyers?”. You may end up with a case of the “what ifs” post-trial. It would be money well spent to get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion so that you can determine if you want to switch or stay. If anything, you want a top litigator in trial.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:06 PM

helenj is on a distinguished road

Thank you both for your input. You're right - I may be SAVING money by having a better lawyer.

Thank you all!