This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post secondary expenses

So if the 19year son fathers a child of his own, but continues to reside with his mother, can she continue to claim child support for him? He is still in college, living with his mother. ??

lol...a tough one that has been argued over and over...

Parenting a child creates an adult.
    But PS education retains child status.

Is the father paying support for his child? If so, then he is more likely to be seen as an adult, and no longer a child of the marriage...but it is a gamble unless it is outlined as a terminating cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoonz View Post
      So if the 19year son fathers a child of his own, but continues to reside with his mother, can she continue to claim child support for him? He is still in college, living with his mother. ??
      hmm paying child support for a child who will be supporting his own child. I would love to see how that turns out in regards to support. I am sure it has happened many times before but not to anyone I know.

Comment

Interesting situation...

If a child gets married, they are no longer considered a dependent and are not entitled to support....

One would think that the same principles would apply in these circumstances.

I am curious to see if anyone has any experience with this and knows of any case law to support the decision?

Comment

Originally posted by Spoonz View Post
          I have done a bit of research, and can find no precedent in this matter. With rates of teenage pregnancy, that blows my mind, that it has not once been addressed before the courts.

Comment

I think, therefore (I am?? LOL) that the child support obligation would in fact continue.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X