lawyers who accept legal aid certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lawyers who accept legal aid certificates

Hello everyone, I am new here, starting a complicated struggle. 8 years ago, I signed a separation agreement, gave everything away, even waived my rights for spousal support, her pension, rrsp's, everything. I did not have a lawyer, and was in distress. She now has the house, great job, benefits, everything. I was stay at home dad, we were married 27 years, and I left the marriage broke and homeless. Yes, she pressured me, threatened me, intimidated me, etc.to sign this agreement (she had a lawyer, i didn't). Anyways, Legal Aid has issued a certificate for me to get some help in getting this sorted out to get spousal support and my share of the equity (kids are grown). The separation agreement will have to be overturned, which might be tricky, as it is more than six years old. But I hear that under such unfair and extenuating circumstances, this can be done. Can anyone recommend a good lawyer who takes the certificates?

Did you do the financials back when the agreement was signed? Eight years is a long time and I think SS would not be awarded as you have been supporting yourself for the last eight years.

What are your expectations with this? Why didn't you have a lawyer back then? Why did you wait so long to try and re-open the agreement?

I would talk to a few lawyers first and do research to see if it is even worth it to try and open the agreement up. Legal Aid only covers so much and either your ex will offer you something to end it all or she will make you force it to court.

Comment

No financial settlement. She had all the assets, house in her name, all her salary in her own account. I know it seems curious, but people's lives are complicated and the reasons as to why I was living homeless and poor for the last 8 years while she was living well are beyond a public forum. As to SS, it is more than for just "supporting yourself", it is about having a fair standard of living compared to the other, and being given a chance to get on your feet (esp the spouses like me who were staying at home).
      If anyone can recommend a good lawyer who accepts certificates, I would appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrrogers View Post
        No financial settlement. She had all the assets, house in her name, all her salary in her own account. I know it seems curious, but people's lives are complicated and the reasons as to why I was living homeless and poor for the last 8 years while she was living well are beyond a public forum. As to SS, it is more than for just "supporting yourself", it is about having a fair standard of living compared to the other, and being given a chance to get on your feet (esp the spouses like me who were staying at home).
        If anyone can recommend a good lawyer who accepts certificates, I would appreciate it.
        I think you need to read up more about spousal support. There are many threads here.

Comment

What city or region will you be bringing the action in?

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good lawyer who takes the certificates?
            I note you have listed your location as Ottawa.

If that is the case, I can provide you with a few suggestions, however that should be done by private message.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X