X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do? spousal support?

Should I apply for spousal support?

My boyfriend and I have been together for 4 years and living together for 2 1/2 (in apartments we rent). seven months ago we moved to BC. We decided on this city because he has friends here and there is a University I can finish my degree at. I am a full time student and worked part time until we moved here. He works in the oilfield and is only home once a month. With me in school and working we weren't getting to spend much time together, so we decided that considering he makes $7000 a month, the little money I made as a part time waitress wasn't worth it. Now we broke up. He called from work and broke up with me yesterday. Its not working blah blah blah.

Typically I would not even consider asking for support. I am an independent girl and can stand on my own two feet but here is the situation:
    -I have zero income right now as I am not working.
    -It is the most crucial part of my semester, there is 3 weeks left and then finals- in other words I cant go get a full time job just yet.
    -I don't know a single person here, let alone someone I could stay with until the semester is over. And since I'm from Saskatchewan, my nearest family is 1,200 kms away.

But doesn't spousal support take a long time to process? I don't want to ask for money, I feel ashamed but I have nowhere to go.

Any advice I could get would be great. Please help.

It will take months before you even see the inside of a courtroom...

If you need immediate financial help, than spousal support is only an option is he is willing to pay you voluntarily.

Comment

Originally posted by lost84 View Post
      ... living together for 2 1/2 [years]...
      But doesn't spousal support take a long time to process? I don't want to ask for money, I feel ashamed but I have nowhere to go.

Any advice I could get would be great. Please help.
      You are not his spouse by marriage or by common law as you have not lived together for 3 years, therefore you are not legally entitled to spousal support.

Borrow money and/or get a job is the only options I see for you.

Comment

In BC the law states:
        Unmarried couples can apply for spousal support if they qualify as "spouses" as defined by the act:
        1. they must have lived together for at least two years in a "marriage-like relationship;" and,
        2. the application for support must be made within one year of the end of that relationship.

Comment

They only lived 7 months in BC, I don't think this is a question we can answer.

Comment

Here's my two cents worth. When I went to university I lived on $20 a week. Of course that was a few years ago. I never looked for handouts. I worked every weekend and during the summer. I got student loans and paid them back. Would you have been in a better financial situation if you had not lived with your bf? Based on what you wrote, it sounds like you would be in the exact same situation. So, leave him out of it.

Comment

If the law allows it, and you have the need for short term support, and he has the means to provide it... then ask the courts for your entitlement.

Should he provide for you for years.... No!

Should he help get you on your feet... 6 months to a year (maximum)??

Why not?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X