Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:45 PM

Lana is on a distinguished road
Default Separated and thinking about purchasing property

Hi,
I have recently separated (in November) and am thinking about purchasing a home. I would be not be using any joint money or marital money (there was none...just debt). Would my husband be entitled to half of the house?

He is not currently working and I think might be going on welfare.

Any advice for me to protect myself?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:54 PM

FreeNow is on a distinguished road

As long as you have a proper seperation agreement you should be fine with the house purchase. Your husband would have no entitlement to the property.

FN
Old 02-17-2009, 12:54 PM

FL_Needs_To_Change has a spectacular aura aboutFL_Needs_To_Change has a spectacular aura about

If you have the means to purchase a home, then doing so would not entitled him to any share particularly since you are no longer together.
However, he has a right to your share in the debt and can seek to have that compensated plus he may have a claim for Spousal support depending on the nature of the relationship and the household earnings etc.
You would do well to seek to have a separation order put in place until any outstanding issues are resolved. This may save you alot of headache later.
Closed Thread