Travel Consent Letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Consent Letter

For those who have travelled with their children out of country, what all did your travel consent letter include?

Do the dates have to be exact? We are looking to travel around the end of September for a week. We know the date we are hoping to head out, but it will all depend on flights. We are wanting to book only a couple weeks in advance, in order to take advantage of some discounts. Is it possible to put the dates as, between Sept 27-Oct 10, 2015, knowing the dates will be anywhere between those dates?

Mom has provided verbal consent and states she will sign a consent letter, however we would like to get that as soon as possible to prevent her from changing her mind.

Thoughts?

See here: Recommended consent letter for children travelling abroad - Travel.gc.ca

It should be notarized. My sister got turned back once at the airport because her letter wasn't.

Sure, you can change it to indicate something like 7 days taken between x and y.
    Last edited by dinkyface; 05-28-2015, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Hey BF

Admittedly my letter experience is about 3 years old now but I traveled a bit. I also had no set dates and wanted to be able to go where ever I wanted. I worded my letter similar to this:

That the mom gave unconditional permission to dad (date of birth), BF (date of birth), and child (dob) for travel to, from and between Canada, the US and the Caribbean between the dates of June 1 - 30, 2015. I give my express permission that either dad or BF may travel unaccompanied with the child at any time.

The reason for the "travel alone" is that if something happens to one of the children and only one of you needs to travel back quickly with the child(ren), you have permission to do so. (Think medical emergency.)

Finally, include permission for emergency or routine medical care on the same letter. Saves money.

Sorry this is disjointed. I am trying to type quickly.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Comment

Oh, sorry. One more thing. A contact number for Mom.

We had a blurb, "In the event of any sort of emergency, I can be reached at (telephone number) or (telephone number). "

That way if something does happen, Mom can be notified by authorities. Made my ex feel better.

Comment

Thank you both. Mom seems cooperative right now but as the time get closer it's hard to say how it will pan out.

First time traveling with the children and we want it to go as smoothly as possible. Much appreciated!

Comment

Also pay attention to
            1) when she hands over the passport,
            2) check that the passport's expiry date is sufficient for your trip... you may (each) be required to have a passport valid for at least 3mo past your scheduled return date (depends on where you are going).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X