Represented by Social Assistance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Represented by Social Assistance?

Apparently my ex has applied for Social Assistance.

Some 'worker' there just called me and told me to cancel my motion to change. She was rude, unprofessional, and argumentative.

She let me know that she will be representing my ex at our first appearance coming up.

Has anyone dealt with these people before? I'm pretty sure she isn't a lawyer because she didn't seem to understand the concept of shared access.

I have dealt with a child services worker however what does Social Assistance have to do with recommending whatever it is that she is wanting with the scenario of Best Interests of the Child.

The judge can simply just ignore her.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstTimer View Post
      I have dealt with a child services worker however what does Social Assistance have to do with recommending whatever it is that she is wanting with the scenario of Best Interests of the Child.

The judge can simply just ignore her.
      When you are on Social Assistance you are required to pursue child support if you are supporting children. I don't think she understood the part about him not having the children lately.

My motion to change would require him to pay me. She wants me to cancel it because he has zero income and will be on assistance. I told her that it doesn't really matter if he has zero income, he is an adult, with children and is required, by law, to support them. I also told her he's perfectly capable of working at Timmies and that refusing to do so because it is below him is irresponsible. If he refuses to work, an income will be imputed to him.

It was a very strange conversation. She was so unprofessional I honestly thought in the beginning that maybe some friend of his was calling me to try to get me to cancel the motion.

I don't even want support from him. I just don't want to pay him while I have the children and I want acknolwedgement of my huge overpayment for the last 2.5 years. Ridiculous.

Comment

Oh okay, that makes sense now. Yeah, when we were under shared parenting, she called Social Assistance on me as well, which I was paying but she wanted me under the MEP program. Social Assistance doesn't care about the child custody issues, to be fair they are not trained in it. All they care about is lessening their money they have to pay him.

Meaning, if you are supposed to pay child support and you aren't, why should the government aka average tax payer give him EI if you are supposed to give him that? That's the only thing they care about. The only thing they go on is the court order and until that changes they won't stop as long as he is on EI.

I think they are involved because he signs off a form that if he wants EI, office of Social Assistance can now on his behalf go after Child Support etc etc.

It was actually quite comical when it happened to me. Child Support was after me to put me on the Maintenance Enforcement Program FRO (I was paying her monthly by bank transfer) and after I gained primary custody, my ex was like Social Assistance is still coming after you, and too bad it's already in motion etc. you're screwed.

So I went to the Child Support office and showed the lady the Court Order, she turns around then hands me with documents to pursue Child Support against my ex. Which like you, I don't want anything from her. I just want a stable environment for my son.
        Last edited by FirstTimer; 04-15-2015, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Oh okay, that makes sense now. Yeah, when we were under shared parenting, she called Social Assistance on me as well, which I was paying but she wanted me under the MEP program. Social Assistance doesn't care about the child custody issues. All they care about is lessening their money they have to pay him.
          Exactly. I tried to explain the situation to her but she was really quite rude. I was upset at first but the reality is, I'm in the right here. He doesn't have the children, he doesn't get support. Assistance or no assistance.

Comment

could it be that they're looking for you to pay him spousal support?

Comment

He had the kids and now doesnt....they dont seem to know that BUT u can tell them. Contact her and let her know.
              She is doing ehr job and chasing child support.
              It seems to me he is just doing it to get social assistance and cuase legal squables and still collect what he can in the mean time.
              Turn it around on him. Why wait for court when u can clear it up directly with a little visit in person? He doesnt have the kids, u have the kids and in the process of updating legally. its free to visit and clarify and they will know what he si trying to do.
              he is just going through the red tape on gettign assistance.

Comment

I don't think they care, the Court Order is the Court Order and until it changes then they will do what they are legally obligated to do. Which was clearly the result of this conversation.

Originally posted by roxyroller71 View Post
                He had the kids and now doesnt....they dont seem to know that BUT u can tell them. Contact her and let her know.

Comment

Originally posted by nfc4ever View Post
                  could it be that they're looking for you to pay him spousal support?
                  Perhaps. It's been 6 years though and we have a court order that stipulates there will be no spousal so I don't know that they would go there.

Comment

I forgot to ask, I assume you don't have a child support order and you just jave a custody order?

We don't have one in my case.

Comment

I forgot to ask, I assume you don't have a child support order and you just jave a custody order?

We don't have one in my case.
                      I have both - we have an order on consent for joint custody, shared access. We have a separate order for support which is the one I've requested to temporarily change.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X