Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRA refund issue

Hi All,

I pay my ex a large amount of SS in relations to what i earn. I also owe according to FRO a large amount of arrears. so when i get a refund from CRA it is payed to FRO.

My question is this. I Revenue Canada pays my $4000.00 to FRO and my Ex can i claim that money the following year on my tax return as money I paid as SS?

hope the question makes sense.

I think you could, but I am no expert. You are paying it, its just that FRO is taking it from the refund you would have got. I am thinking even if it is arrears, you should be able to claim it.

The only thing I can think of that maybe a problem is if your court order says you pay (general numbers) 5000 a year for SS. You pay your 5000 plus FRO gets your refund for say 1000 for that year also. In the end you pay (direct and indirectly) 6000 to fro. Not sure if CRA only accepts the court ordered amount as the tax-deductible amount so you wouldn't get credit for the 1000.

Maybe ask an accountant?? Or CRA themselves?

Comment

Are the arrears for SS or CS or both?

Comment

If you and your ex-spouse are both claiming and giving credit for the same spousal amount then I don't think you will have a problem. I have been claiming spousal support for 10 years now....and my ex frequently claims a higher amount than I do. Although this is not proper, he has yet to be audited. I don't think that the CRA has a direct line to FRO. FRO collects "support" but does not delineate what is spousal and what is child. I believe that your court order would be more important in this regard. If you need to know what FRO has garnished you can request a statement...first one is free...after than you pay. Maybe this would suffice for CRA?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X