This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Status Quo Question

Hello all. New to this site. Does anyone know how long it takes to establish a status quo? Thanks.

Be very careful, and document everything in as indisputable a manner you can manage. I had my son 45% of the time for 20 months, but it wasn't in a court order. The court order was just reasonable access, but my ex and I worked it out between ourselves. I documented every day I had him, and it still didn't matter. After almost 2 years of having my son 45% of the time, my ex moved 250 km away with him. The judge gave me every other weekend, and one week in the summer. I argued status quo, but the judge just said that my new order was better than my old order. Apparently, instead of working with my ex for those 20 months, I should've clogged the court system up even more than it already is. The way my son's actual life was before the move didn't matter at all when compared to an 8 year old court order.

Comment

This also happened to my husband. On paper it said he had them EOW + Wed. But he actually had them 40-50% of the time. During the divorce proceedings, the only thing that mattered was what was on paper.

Lesson learned: No more verbal agreements.

Comment

Is is still considered a "status quo" if it is a result of a temporary and without prejudice court order and the delay making a motion for access was waiting for the OCL to finish their custody and access evaluation?

Comment

is it? yes. Are the mitigating factors taken under account? Yep.

Look at WorkingDad's canlii decision. He was able to overcome a year and a half of established status quo, simply because it was established under false pretenses. He successfully broke a year + of established status quo because the mother was a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
            is it? yes. Are the mitigating factors taken under account? Yep.

Look at WorkingDad's canlii decision. He was able to overcome a year and a half of established status quo, simply because it was established under false pretenses. He successfully broke a year + of established status quo because the mother was a moron.

Would you mind providing a link to that decision? Thank you very much.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X