No announcement yet.

ethics of lawyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From everything you have written, you need a new lawyer. This one is not meshing with you and you have spent too much time and money going no where. 2.5 years and not even having a case conference is, quite frankly, nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by tilt View Post
      2.5 years and not even having a case conference is, quite frankly, nuts.
      Not to mention the $30k already spent on lawyer. That is an huge amount to spend on lawyer with no court appearances to show for it. If anything, a tight game plan needs to be put in place regarding what needs to take place to get the case resolved. But yes, it sounds like the lawyer may be disinterested as well.

Comment

Question: so my ex has 2 family law matters before the court, same lawyer for both matters. Different answers and statements in both matters. How do I legally get his answers and affidavit from his second matter presented into my matter to show the discrepancies and lies? Hi ex partner provided me with his answers and it would help my case tremendously.

Comment

Court records are public. You can get copies of his other file, including affidavits and his filed financial statements, as far as I am aware. You can also ask his ex to commission an affidavit for you and attach his affidavit to it. I’ve seen quite a few case law where the ex’s all present the conflicting affidavits to the Judge and it undermines the credibility of the ex (I’m pretty sure that Fuhgeh is one).

Comment

Need some advice. So my CC is scheduled for October7th, due to covid my lawyer is only allowed to provide a 4 page brief. The only order being is requested is for disclosure. After 3 years with no disclosure provided from my ex And almost no child support paid. Owing about 30k atm. What other orders should my lawyer be asking for. I’ve been asking for disclosure for 3 years. Can I ask for the child support owing. He’s sold 4 properties in the past 2 years. My lawyer knows of one Property before the courts Which funds are being held in trust. Should there be an order to keeps those in trust. I have a couple days to alter the brief. Feedback will be much appreciated.

Comment

A CC is useless for what you are asking for. You need to file a motion.

Comment

Originally posted by tilt View Post
                A CC is useless for what you are asking for. You need to file a motion.
                The judge can still order disclosure and that can be used in the motion.
                I had no idea that the legal system was such a circus when it came to disclosing stuff.
                I have been burned too but at the CC the disclosure was ordered and the judge said I could bring a motion if they failed to comply.

Comment

After three years the lawyer should not be scheduling a CC when there are already Orders the opposing party is in contempt of. This lawyer is not moving towards settlement or trial (which is where they should have been within 18 months of an application). Some lawyers are more interested in billable hours and those lawyers need to be either carefully managed by and informed client or else cut loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Victorviola View Post
                    The only order being is requested is for disclosure. After 3 years with no disclosure provided from my ex And almost no child support paid. Owing about 30k atm. What other orders should my lawyer be asking for. I’ve been asking for disclosure for 3 years. Can I ask for the child support owing. He’s sold 4 properties in the past 2 years. My lawyer knows of one Property before the courts Which funds are being held in trust. Should there be an order to keeps those in trust. I have a couple days to alter the brief. Feedback will be much appreciated.
                    You should be filing a motion for disclosure which can be done if you don’t get it at the cc. Tell your lawyer to have that motion ready to file immediately following your cc. If the judge endorses disclosure you wont need it but if they don’t then have it ready. You should also request that the fund remain in trust until a final order is made to keep that money available.

At this point you need to tell your lawyer that if this conference doesn’t go anywhere you want them to request it move to trial. Endless conferences with no disclosure and over 30 grand owing is useless. Your lawyer is simply sucking you dry. You need a final order and if your ex won’t settle it will take a final judgement.

As for getting an order for support...do you not have an interim order? If yes file it with an enforcement agency immediately. If you don’t tell your lawyer you want them to request an interim order for support.

If your lawyer is really as inept as someone who goes to constant conferences you need a new lawyer.

Comment

In the case conference brief our lawyer did ask that if disclosure is not provided within 30 days that the ex's pleadings be struck... I will ask the lawyer to ask for an order for $$ held in trust to be kept in trust. First case conference will update after its complete, Thanks everyone

Comment

Received ex’s CC brief. They e threatening to bring a motion against my common law partner to provide disclosure. Priceless. They made a total of 12 points in their CC which 6 are lies and easily countered with their own statements in a previous affidavit. Ex: in affidavit my ex states I had legal representation at time of separation but now in the CC he states that I declined representation at time of separation. D-day tomorrow. Looking forward and waited 3 years for this.

Comment

My husband’s ex demanded disclosure of all my info as well as what I contribute to the house. In addition to a list of items she wanted my husband to provide. She got nothing but schooled and had to pay my husbands legal costs.

Good luck tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had an 8 hour case conference. A 8 page order for financial disclosure. OC argues everything but to no avail. Then at 4:00pm OC brought up a jurisdictional issue. Apparently my lawyer was supposed to file with the Ontario court not the superior court when it comes to child support and access. Judge agreed and that was it. Spousal support claim can still go. We were heart broken about the screw up. 3 years waiting for that day and that’s what happened. I don’t know how my lawyer can explain this screw up. I need to get a new lawyer ASAP as now we have to start a new case in the OCJ for child support and access. Does this screw up equal misrepresentation. I sent a very long email to the lawyer and awaiting a response. I want the $30k I spent back so I can afford a new lawyer. Thoughts need some advice.

Comment

Do not immediately fire your lawyer. I know it feels huge, but it’s actually an easy error to make.

Instead, take a breath, book a meeting, and ask how your lawyer is going to make the error up to you. No one is perfect, but no other lawyer owes you anything. You won’t get the 30k back, but you should get some level of courtesy service.

Comment

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. Seems that the Opposing side is just playing around and you are having difficulties with your lawyer.

Here in Toronto, an experienced family lawyer can be $500 per hour. That means that it is possible that Victorviola spent $4,000 just to have lawyer present yesterday, not to mention the amount of money spent on prep time. So it is possible that yesterday's CC cost $5,000-$6,000 and the outcome did not amount to much progress in the file at all. Family Court needs a serious overhaul of how it operates. Full day wasted.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X