Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:41 AM

fairnessrules is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 50/50 Custody

My ex and I have been separated for over a year, It was amicable in the beginning but has since gotten very petty and confrontational. I was a shift worker (12 hr rotating) when we separated. Our custody schedule revolved around my work schedule. In essence I had the children ever day that I was off. Now the intent was that I would eventually get day shifts (Mon - Fri) and that we would begin week about custody, however my ex decided to take me to court for CS and won a judgement of $600 a month. The judge didn't look at the times the children were with each of us he simply made a judgement based on.....well I'm not really sure what to be honest. Since I've gone to days my ex will not go week about, I have taken a pretty hefty pay cut to go to days......what can I do??? I am financially strapped and feeling rather defeated. The $600 will force me to sell my house and my vehicle if it keeps up.....help please!!!!

I should mention that there are no orders of custody or signed agreements either.

Last edited by fairnessrules; 11-12-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: forgot something.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 AM

fireweb13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to fireweb13

How often are you seeing your children? Do you have any emails or txt messages about the plan you and your ex made for when you would work day shifts? I would recommend for startes to make sure that all communication is done through email or txt if possible, and invest in an audio recorder for when you must speak directly to your ex.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 AM

I have texts and emails regarding her intent and agreement to switch to week about with the kids. Currently I have the children over 40% of the time. Trouble is that the judge that issued the support order didn't make a ruling on wether or not it was shared custody. That was the original intent but it seems gredd has gotten the better of her.

Naturally I wouldn't have purchased a house and made all the other plans I have if I was not under that impression.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 AM

fireweb13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to fireweb13

So was the support order made at a case conference I am guessing? Was she disputing the fact that you currently see your children more then 40% of the time?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM

The story is very long and arduous. I'll PM you the details.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 AM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Don't worry about the child support yet. The first thing you have to do is establish the appropriate custody arrangements. If you have 50-50, the CS will follow. If you lose the custody war, nobody will care if you are too broke to pay CS, you will have to pay it anyway.

Without an agreement, I would immediately start seeing the kids 50% of the time. Give your ex a schedule, and tell her that if she doesn't like it, she can feel free to propose an alternate schedule of her liking that gives you 50% of the time.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 AM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairnessrules View Post
The story is very long and arduous. I'll PM you the details.
Not to take anything away with the advice/help fireweb can provide, but posting more details here may get you more advice/answers. They are many knowledgeable people here, that have gone through what you are.

Leave out personal details (names and such) but substitute with with something similar... like if you have a son that is 7, say S7, instead of his name.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM

Can I unilaterally just start doing week about custody...even though she has refused???
Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 AM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Without an agreement or order in place, you have defacto 50-50 custody. She is not allowed to play gate keeper.

Do you have a lawyer?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:28 AM

I had a lawyer for the "so called" settlement conference. I gave everything away she took it and wouldn't settle on custody. Defacto 50-50???

I am currently in a very poor position as I can't afford a lawyer.
Closed Thread